GoDuBois.com

Raspberry Farm in Big Run

Guest snellma

Guest snellma

I posted this in the mail forum but decided to try here also.  I figured the main forum would get more eyes.  If you have responded to the main forum please do not feel you need to respond here.  Once will be fine.  Thanks.

Does anyone know where the farm is or what the name of it is in Big Run where you can pick raspberries?  My friend picked them there last year but she doesn't remember the name of the place.  All I got was that you make a right turn somewhere and that he had his bushes inside or under cover somehow.  She picked right after I was home to pick grapes so I would love to get raspberries while I am home this year.  Any information about any raspberries would be greatly appreciated.  I usually pick grapes the last weekend of Sept./first weekend of Oct.

Guest snellma

I have gone to self-pick strawberry and blueberry farms but I never heard of a raspberry farm. How much do they charge per pound (roughly). Are the berries as good as wild ones? This is interesting.

I honestly don't have any other details.  I don't think he has just raspberries - I think he has other things also.  My friend in Luthersburg just told me about this place last year and she didn't give me very many details at all.  All she told me was that she picked raspberries in Big Run.  She said she made a right turn in the middle of Big Run and went up that road.  I LOVE raspberries and the closest place to pick them in SC is 3 1/2 hrs. away.  I know I drive 14 hrs. to pick grapes, but figured I could get the raspberries while I am home.  Last year I ended up getting grapes, apples, tomatoes, bell peppers, and banana peppers all at the same time.

Guest snellma

Hot banana or sweet banana? The sweet banana is my favorite pepper for cooking. They make much better stuffed peppers than the green peppers.

She had both.  I absolutely love going up there.  They are such a sweet couple and wonderful to visit with.  We have developed a very nice relationship and stay in touch throughout the year.  The best thing is that her prices are CHEAP!!  If you want her information please p.m. me and I will give it to you.

Snelma, I just read your original post. You will not be getting raspberries in September/October. My raspberries are just ripening now. Don't know why no one picked up on this. Grapes and raspberries definitely do not ripen at the same time.

Guest snellma

This place must have them later in the year because she picked them the week after I was home.  Maybe has something to do with having them inside???

Guest snellma

These are all reasons I want to find this place.  I may have to break down and call my friend and see if she can't give me any other details.  Stay tuned.

Guest snellma

She's not a good one at responding so it may take a few tries.  I hope I'm not disappointed because I LOVE raspberries.

• 2 months later...
Guest snellma

Ok, I finally got to talk to my friend and she said it is Bennetts Farm on Shepler Rd.  She didn't have a phone number so I will try to find one.  If anyone has it please post it or p.m. me with it.  Thanks.

Ok, here is the scoop.  They just finished blackberries but will have red raspberries until the first frost.  They are $2.50 a pint and they are already picked.  Their phone number is 814-427-5276.  Turn RIGHT onto Pennsylvania Ave. (it is the first right).  If you go to the Post Office you have gone too far.  Go about 1 1/2 miles and you will come to a "Y" in the road.  Go RIGHT at the "Y".  They are the first house on the left.  It is Shepler Rd.