GoDuBois.com

SUNFLOWERS

gypsywannabe

So now my sunflowers are drooping and dying, having been the Glory of Heaven all thru August.

How do I preserve the seeds and heads?

I'd like to save some seeds to grow next year of all the colors I got plus I'd like to take the rest to prepare for the birdies and I need to know what to do?

Should I just cut them off on the stalks, bundle them and put them out this winter? Should they be dried? When are the seeds old enough to be plucked and saved for next year's plants?

Usually sunflower seeds are allowed to dry on the stalk. The only problem with this is that birds and deer love them and will eat them if they can. They also can shatter before you get a chance to gather them. You can put a cheese cloth or mesh bag over the heads to prevent this if you think there is a risk. They are dry when they are easily removed from the head. They will have the black/gray striped appearance of the seeds you see in the stores. Once you have removed them from the heads let them dry for a few days on a tray to make sure they are good and dry. They can be stored in a cool dry place for the winter or put them in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.

If you want to save them for the birds I don't see why you can't leave the heads intact and store them for the winter. Make sure you put them in a secure container or hang them. Mice will carry them all off if they can get to them.

If you have planted hybrid sunflowrers do not expect exactly the same colors that you have this year when you replant the seeds.

I know they always say that you can't transplant Sunflowers successfully, but this spring when we planned on having sunflowers at the new Franklin Street planting bed, I figured I would try anyway because there was no way we were going to be able to get the seeds into the grouns on time.

I got one flower out of about 6 I planted but they were old seeds.  It was transplanted 3 times and is growing happily to about 6 feet.  It is now ripe and getting ready to release its seeds from the main head so I think I will chop it off and see if the remaining two heads will also survive and ripen.

Who knows, pending the delivery of top soil, it may make it into the ground for a week or so yet! :-)