GoDuBois.com

Cuttings of Rose of Sharon Question

Smokefree

When someone starts a new plant with a cutting from Rose of Sharon is it sturdier than a plant started as a seedling? How fast would a plant from a cutting grow? I am wondering if I get a few plants from cuttings of my mom's Rose of Sharon plant what I could expect to get in the first few years.

When my mom moved, we took a piece of her's.  We dug it out and then planted.  We have a large tree now with lots of flowers.  It should bloom the following year that you plant it.  If you can't dig a piece out, sorry but I can't help there.

Rose of Sharon seed so readily that I think that is the usual way to propagate them by gardeners. The only problem is that if you have a fancy Rose of Sharon it might not come true from seed.  You are probably going to get a sturdier plant if you dig up a seedling than if you try to root a cutting. With a rooted cutting there is always the shock of going into the ground from whatever you have rooted it in.

How soon it will flower depends on how happy it is where you plant it.  Mine took more than a year but it was a tiny plant and I didn't have it in the sunniest location. As tipcat says they are a fast grower.