GoDuBois.com

tomato blossom end rot

Hi, I have one patio tomato plant in a large container on my deck. Seen a few smaller ripe tomatoes the other day but when i picked them all three had blossom end rot. What can I do to prevent/stop this from happening to all the tomatoes on the plant? I'm going to google it but thought this may be a good place to get an answer. Thanks in advance.

Blossom end rot is caused by lack of calcium in the soil. Add some lime to get the pH up to at least 6.5. Lime also contains calcium. If your pH is high enough use some gypsum or another source of lime.  As a stop gap measure you can spray with a calcium based spray. Don't use a high nitrogen fertilizer and try to avoid extremes with watering. 

OK, Thanks. I was reading from a couple sites I googled about this and one said the same thing about either lack of calcium or uneven watering. They also said the take a handful of pelletized lime and add it to a gallon of water and add a couple cups to the container. another said to crush a tums tablet and add to water. So I did both the lime and the tums. I will also try to make sure it is watered more evenly.

They also said to use a low nitrogen fertilizer. I use miracle grow about every third time I water and also used miracle grow potting soil when I planted it. Maybe it is getting too much nitrogen?

Nitrogen promotes the growth of leaves and vegetative growth. If you are getting a good crop of tomatoes you are probably not giving it way too much nitrogen. Since you are into the production of fruit it wouldn't hurt to cut down on the nitrogen. You now want to produce and ripen fruit not grow the plant bigger.