GoDuBois.com

HISTORY FORUM

sscamaro

• 3 years later...

I am a history buff lol. but several places that were once significant locations in or around DuBois are now wooded lots, or posted property if not a parking lot. I have come up empty time and time again in finding the actual location of what was once Edgemont park near Larkytown. Any information would be greatly appriciated. I have metal detected since I was seven years old and still love uncovering pieces of the past. I will upload some pics of some of my discoveries if anyone is interested. I am also always looking for places to detect. If anyone knows of any locations please let me know. I always obtain permission as well as leave the area looking as it did when I arrived. Thanks everyone, and thanks Steve for adding this section

Here is a brief bit of history from Reynoldsville:  On Main street where the hardware is now located used to be a hotel called the Hotel Bellknapp. The local Hist. Soc. has the register book from this hotel and the interesting entry occured around 1882. There was a guest named "U.S. Grant" who signed in with a hometown of Washington DC. This happened on two occasions. It has been said that he liked to come up this way for trout fishing.

Correction, sez wife. Not where the hardware is, but on the now-vacant lot, southwest corner of Main & Fourth Streets. Where the old Cameron building used to be. :-/

Here is a photo of the old Belnap Hotel on Main and 4th Streets in Reynoldsville.  I don't know the exact year of this photo but it is likely the one TD is referring to although the spelling is different.  The location is right

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...