GoDuBois.com

Gelnett School 1930 Class Photo

Borninabarn

• 1 year later...

No...someone tore it down for NO good reason

No good reason??  Good grief.... I'm glad someone finally tore it down...Unlike the Wilson Building where they reduced a two story building down to a pile of rubble, and walked away... that was the end of the demolition. Come back in a hundred years, and i'd bet the pile of debris will still be there, maybe minus the wood which may have rotted into the ground by then...Get rid of these old eyesores, unless they are put to some valid use....Now we have the biggest rat hatchery in Sandy Twp. Here's an idea.... start a snake colony to control the rats...What's this pile of rubble doing to the property values of the area. I guess that isn't even a consideration...

No good reason??  Good grief.... I'm glad someone finally tore it down...Unlike the Wilson Building where they reduced a two story building down to a pile of rubble, and walked away... that was the end of the demolition. Come back in a hundred years, and i'd bet the pile of debris will still be there, maybe minus the wood which may have rotted into the ground by then...Get rid of these old eyesores, unless they are put to some valid use....Now we have the biggest rat hatchery in Sandy Twp. Here's an idea.... start a snake colony to control the rats...What's this pile of rubble doing to the property values of the area. I guess that isn't even a consideration...

It was not like the Wilson Building...It was a one room school house with a slate roof....very small and no water damage or anything else...my aunt wanted to buy it and restore it...but like everything else in this area with any kind of History it was tore down for NO GOOD REASON !!!

You're right...If the school board still owned it, it should have been made available to someone willing to restore it. Was something built in it's location? I imagine those buildings passed from the school board hands many years ago. If it was privately owned, that is a different story.

It was not like the Wilson Building...It was a one room school house with a slate roof....very small and no water damage or anything else...my aunt wanted to buy it and restore it...but like everything else in this area with any kind of History it was tore down for NO GOOD REASON !!!

We contacted the sisters who owned the Gelnett school house repeately with offers to buy only the building and tear it down, removing all of the debris.  They didn't want it to come down but eventually it would have or someone could have set it on fire.  It's always sad when these old buildings can't be renovated and used.

We contacted the sisters who owned the Gelnett school house repeately with offers to buy only the building and tear it down, removing all of the debris.  They didn't want it to come down but eventually it would have or someone could have set it on fire.  It's always sad when these old buildings can't be renovated and used.

Who are "WE" and why would you want to tear it down...it was a brick building...and Could have been restored if you cared about it like my family did

gelnett_school_7941.jpg

My husband and I wanted to recycle the brick and any good timbers.  In the end it went because apparently they didn't want to pay the taxes on it anymore.  It would have been nicer to see it fixed up but who has the money and time?

We bought the land we now own from George, Imogene Liddle-Watson, Stanley and another sibling.  This was part of the truck farm.  George never married or had children and he wanted to fill this meadow with children before he died so part of the deal was that you had children.  He kept my kids in popsicles till the house burned and Stanley died in the fire. He told us stories of this land and the house.  So interesting!

My aunt has been following this and explaining to my dad all the connections.  My great great grandparents were the Carbaugh that originally owned the white farm house that use to sit at the Lions club entrance my great grand mother married a Dunlap and lived in the farm house that use to sit up from the Lions club entrance also we are some how also related to the Keens.  They all grew up out here by the school and went to that building.  It killed me when they tore it down because I always knew it was a part of my family history.