GoDuBois.com

Congrats to the grads!

Polo

Over the last few weeks we have had folks graduating from colleges, grade schools, and high schools locally.  I just want to say job well done to all of them.  Whether they were in the top of the class, or in the middle or bottom gradewise, they should all feel proud that they made it and met the requirements to have that diploma, certificate or degree.  For some, it may have been more of a struggle just to get through, due to circumstances in their lives, but they did it!  

I had the opportunity to attend some local awards ceremonies for graduates, and I have to say that we as a community have a lot of faith in our grads!  The scholarship monies available in the local and surrounding areas was plentiful, and individuals, organizations, groups, and employers handed out a large amount to offset college costs.  That should give our students the confidence knowing that their area is investing in them and believes in them!  

I have also noticed that not as many graduating seniors apply for the scholarships available.  It is extra work, but I advise kids to do so.  If a student walks away with an award of $1,000 per se, that is $1,000 less they have to pay.  It's no small amount!  I also advise kids to follow the instructions carefully when filling out the forms.  One can be disqualified for something as simple as forgetting to include one's grade transcript. 

Best wishes, Godspeed, and good luck to all!  Go make your mark on this world!  We are proud of you!