GoDuBois.com

Lady Slipper Orchids

Petee

I knew that was a lady slipper, but I didn't know it was an orchid, I see them growing occasionally in the wild, or used to. I have orchids, I don't think they are the same thing. Could be wrong!

The lady slipper is part of a group of orchids called Paphiopedilum or Paphs for those of us who are Latin challenged. There are indeed species that are tropical and grow indoors. I find them difficult to grow although I do know people who grow them. I'd love to know the secret of growing them. They don't look much like the commonly grown orchids which generally are Oncidiums (dancing ladies) or Phaleanopsis (butterfly orchids).

They aren't the only native orchid. We also have an orchid around here called ladies tresses, which is native. It has multiple small white flowers on a short stem. It blooms so late the frost almost always gets the flowers.  I haven't seen any in the wild for quite some time but I have them growing in my garden. Recently purchased another orchid that is hardy but not native. it is a Bletilla from Asia. Hope I can get it to grow.

Houseplant type orchids?  Is it a terrestrial type orchid that looks similar to the Lady Slipper Orchid?

Her label says Paph. Hsinying Glory #2. It took a year to bloom and lasted several months. She has a new orchid now that the blossom is very long and stringy. Very pretty and interesting. She wants to grow them professionally some day.

She'll have to be sure to join one of the Orchid Societies here in PA.  I can get her a name to contact if she's interested.  I know a local gentleman who has hundreds of orchids.  We've toured his greenhouse several times.

Unfortunately the Central PA Orchid Show in State College is over for the year but they have regular meetings.

May 4-5, 2012

Central PA Orchid Show

State College

She'll have to be sure to join one of the Orchid Societies here in PA.  I can get her a name to contact if she's interested.  I know a local gentleman who has hundreds of orchids.  We've toured his greenhouse several times.

Unfortunately the Central PA Orchid Show in State College is over for the year but they have regular meetings.

May 4-5, 2012

Central PA Orchid Show

State College

She attended Penn State and we were at the Orchid show. Came home with four and some supplies. She picked up a paper on the club and was saying she was thinking of joining. She has a BS in Horticulture and loves all things growing. She was at the show in Philladelphia too. Her boyfriend baught the tickets for this year. She tries to go every year. I just finished watering all her plants. Hopefully they are in the same positions. Stickler for positions she is.

She's right.  I haven't found a good spot for any of my orchids, therefore they don't want to bloom.  One bloomed in my foyer this spring so they're all moving to that spot and if they still don't bloom then they are finding new homes!

Sounds like you have a really smart and involved daughter!