GoDuBois.com

Cleveland Pear Trees

Guest curwensville

Guest curwensville

I just purchased 13 five to six foot Cleveland Pear trees to plant between the road and my house. They are very healthy looking. I'm wondering if the salt they put on the roads will harm them. I couldn't find any information about this on the internet,  any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are relatively salt tolerant unless you are spreading salt within 10 feet of them.  They are recommended as street trees, or at least were.  I haven't heard anything recently.  Cleveland Pears are a lot better then the old Bradford Pears which shouldn't be planted near houses, walkways or where cars or people might be present.  The branches break out in whole quarters of the tree and are dangerous because of the combined weight.  Before I knew this we planted two and yes, one section came crashing down on the deck but there wasn't much to smash or there could have been problems.  I just lost part of a big old Arborvitae.

Well, is there another place for them to shoot the snow?  If not then just lace the planting hole generously with some gypsum that you can probably get at Hanzeleys or another well stocked plant store.  Then in the spring give each tree another handfull.  Be careful not to plant your trees too deeply.  Most trees really don't like it.

Also, most communities are not using straight salt on the roads any more.  It's something more earth friendly.

Thanks Petee. Sorry to hear about your Arborvitae.

We had to take them out anyway when we resided the house.  Now I have to worry about my greenhouse getting flattened but since that particular section of the tree is missing it'll probably fall another direction.

Try looking up Pyrus calleryan "Cleveland Select". I think "Cleveland Select and "Chanticleer" are the same tree, so try that too.

These are good urban trees and yes, they are salt tolerant but they are starting to create a problem when planted in non-urban areas. All on them including Bardford were originally sterile. Now with all of the cultivars out there they are producing seed and are on many of the the invasive species lists. The seed is spread by birds who eat the fruit that the tree nurseries swear won't develop.

The ones I have to deal with sucker like crazy. It drives me crazy!

I just purchased 13 five to six foot Cleveland Pear trees to plant between the road and my house. They are very healthy looking. I'm wondering if the salt they put on the roads will harm them. I couldn't find any information about this on the internet,  any help is greatly appreciated.

I was just thinking about something else to consider since you are apparently planting along a road.  The road probably has a f50 foot right of way and your trees should not be planted on that area.  If you do and the snow plowing damages them you have no recourse.  Put them on your own property and the road crew has an additional reason to avoid them.

Guest curwensville

I was just thinking about something else to consider since you are apparently planting along a road.  The road probably has a f50 foot right of way and your trees should not be planted on that area.  If you do and the snow plowing damages them you have no recourse.  Put them on your own property and the road crew has an additional reason to avoid them.

I don't remember what the right of way is.  Dad had Blue Spruce planted out front years ago. I know he measured back from the center of the road for the right of way when he planted them so I'm just going to use his measurements. The stumps are still there.

I want to plant something in between the Cleveland Pears so I have some privacy. Any suggestions anyone?

I don't remember what the right of way is.  Dad had Blue Spruce planted out front years ago. I know he measured back from the center of the road for the right of way when he planted them so I'm just going to use his measurements. The stumps are still there.

I want to plant something in between the Cleveland Pears so I have some privacy. Any suggestions anyone?

Forsythia Bushes

perfect for tall hedge for privacy

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/shrubsbushes/p/forsythia.htm

Guest curwensville

I do have a few of them now. Easy to start new plants, just not sure about them.

I'm looking for something like wintergreen boxwood. I already have 80 of these but they average 8 inches.

I want something that stays green all year and fast growing.

wintergreenboxwood_5034.jpg

Guest curwensville

short pine type shrubs maybe,not sure of the name

Dad had Blue Spruce and Hemlocks in between them. The hemlocks were nice when young but as the grew didn't look to nice.

Arborvitae are a nice looking and relatively fast growing evergreen for our area.  You may want to stagger your road plantings so if some trees don't make it or don't look as nice you can add something else without it looking like a broken line.

Guest curwensville

I did plant some THUJA, Green Giant Arborvitae along the inside of my driveway. I might plant them in between the Cleveland Pears. There is so much to choose from just don't know what to choose. lol

Guest curwensville

is there a type that only gets 12 feet tall and spreads wide?

If there is I haven't found them yet. I've been in Google so much I've fell asleep at the PC.