GoDuBois.com

Cleveland Pear Trees

Guest curwensville

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh Petee, I have Nun's caps, Forget me Nots and Lillies of the Valley in my flower garden, should I cut them back for the winter?  I have already cut back my day lillies.  The Nun's Caps have really spread this past summer.

Guest curwensville

no it's a shrub type of a bush,they have roughly been there for 50 years and then some dummy pulled them out

I have a few of them left I think. We called them snowball bushes. Don't know the name so can't look it up.

Red twigged dogwood is actually a shrub not a tree. That is the first picture with the smaller flowers. Or at least I think it should be the first picture.

The second one is a viburnum called snowball. It is not a hydrangea but Viburnum opulus. There are a number of different types but I think that this is the old plant that grows around here. I got some from an old farm but I'm not sure about berries. I went out to look but even the leaves are gone. Most viburnums have berries of some sort but they aren't usually white. The flowers on the one I have are only a little bigger than a golf ball.

upload_gallery_plantmaterials_shrubs_images_red20twig20dogwood20spring_8920.jpg

vibsnow_1806.jpg

Did you say it comes out like a flowered snowball and then it turns to white berries?  Did it have teeny thorns on the stems?

What did the leaves look like and when did it bloom?  Did it show a fall color or did the leaves just fall when the weather got chily?

Did you say it comes out like a flowered snowball and then it turns to white berries?  Did it have teeny thorns on the stems?

What did the leaves look like and when did it bloom?  Did it show a fall color or did the leaves just fall when the weather got chily?

no flower just got white type balls the size of blueberries,peas but a little bigger,no thorns,green type leaves and they fell off when fall hit like the other trees do

Nun's Cap?  Is this a form of Orchid or something you've had for years?  A picture?

http://www.ncsu.edu/goingnative/howto/mapping/invexse/porcelai.html

You can clean any old dead foliage out of the garden for the winter to help avoid diseases and pests but it's not always necessary.  Sometimes you want to leave some interesting foliage for the snow to collect on to make interesting garden winterscapes.

You've got a really good memory to be able to distinguish between the two from memory! I've never seen racemosa but sericea has gone wild around here. I think they quite using recemosa as a hedge because it is hard to control. Pruning doesn't do it after many years as it just keeps spreading if it is happy. And it seems to be happy in a lot of places! If you can find one digging out a piece will get you a hedge eventually.  

You've got a really good memory to be able to distinguish between the two from memory! I've never seen racemosa but sericea has gone wild around here. I think they quite using recemosa as a hedge because it is hard to control. Pruning doesn't do it after many years as it just keeps spreading if it is happy. And it seems to be happy in a lot of places! If you can find one digging out a piece will get you a hedge eventually.  

tx,he has it running about 250 feet long