GoDuBois.com

I need some more advice...

steelnut

First, a big thank you to all that have helped me with my gardening questions!

I've posted many times that I just got into planting perennials three years ago. Now I'm up to six beds and they all look wonderful thanks to all of the help that I've recieved.

The only mistake that I've "found" that I've made so far is with the Helenium Mardi Gras. I had no idea that they got so tall. Where I have them planted is not good. So I want to transplant them.

The question is, do I transplant them in the fall or in the spring?  Hubby and I have a bet riding on this, so I hope that I'm right! TIA!

Plant Care

Does not usually need staking. Best in a moist soil, but will tolerate short periods of dry. Will tolerate quite a bit of wet. Easy to divide in spring or fall every 3-4 years. Responds well to "pinching" like a mum to promote bushiness. Disease and pest free.

Plant Care

Does not usually need staking. Best in a moist soil, but will tolerate short periods of dry. Will tolerate quite a bit of wet. Easy to divide in spring or fall every 3-4 years. Responds well to "pinching" like a mum to promote bushiness. Disease and pest free.

Thanks Bon!

These two are in the second year, do you think it would hurt them to transplant this fall?

When I got them, they were little fellows, now they're 3' high! I couldn't believe how tall that they got.

Thanks again!  :)

nope, won't hurt them.so, who won the bet????

LOL, since they can be transplanted in either the spring or fall...no one won, it's a draw!

Darn it anyway, I was counting on being right!  :)

My guess was the spring, his was the fall....

thats good that you both won  ;)   but you could of lied and said spring!!!

Ha, ha! You're right, but now I figure that he can get half of his bet and I can get half of mine, and my half is better than his, so no problem at all for me!  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Two of us lost Helenium 'Bruno' over the winter. Don't know what happened to them. Do you have the yellow or the russet colored ones? The darker ones don't seem to be too hardy or something.

I have two of the russet ones. I still can't believe how tall they got this year, and lots of flowers!