GoDuBois.com

Help with angel trumpets

I have two separately potted angel trumpet plants on my front porch. They are still young and I have moved them outside for the summer. Within 4 days, something has been feasting on the leaves. I have 7 other plants on the porch and only the angel trumpets are being eaten up.

I just sprayed a mixture of dish liquid, oil olive and water on them and will see if that helps.

Anyone have any other home remedies for insecticide or experience with angel trumpets.  

(This is the first year I have planted trumpets.)

You could give this a try....

Bug Repellent for Plants

1 Qt warm water

1/2 small onion

1 Tbs lemon dish soap

1 Tbs very hot hot sauce

1 tsp garlic oil or garlic juice or 6 garlic cloves smashed

Put the lid on and leave in a very warm place for several days.

Strain it and use it as a bug spray.

Guest snellma

I have the same problem with the potato vine I planted in my three window boxes and my pepper plants in my garden.  I try to keep the pepper plants dusted but didn't want to use that on my flowers.  I may try the onion, hot sauce, home brew.

I'll let y'all know if my mixture of dish liquid, olive oil and water help.  If not, I may try some lime dust.

I'd love to catch the buggers in action so I know what I'm working with. From the look of the leaves, I think it is a caterpillar of some kind. AARGGH.

Would Seven Dust work for a situation like this?

Guest madre

Caterpillars have been attacking our rose bush and some little black bugs are eating up our rose of sharon (which didn't bloom last year).  Think I may try the dish soap solution.  We haven't put our angel trumpets out yet.  Have only three that I was able to grow from last year's seed and I've been babying them  :(

I'll let y'all know if my mixture of dish liquid, olive oil and water help.  If not, I may try some lime dust.

I'd love to catch the buggers in action so I know what I'm working with. From the look of the leaves, I think it is a caterpillar of some kind. AARGGH.

Yes, it would work. It is what I use on the cabbages, broccoli, etc to keep the cabbage moth caterpillars from eating everything.

PS. If that dish soap, olive oil water concoction doesn't have a bad affect on the plant let us know. I bet if you added a couple of eggs to it and let it sit for a week or so it would be almost like liquid fence which needs to lower its price. The oil and soap ought to make it really stick to the plant.

Seven Dust contains carbaryl, it is a known carcinogen. Safe or not....read here.  http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/misc/sevin-carbaryl-old.htm

Yes, it would work. It is what I use on the cabbages, broccoli, etc to keep the cabbage moth caterpillars from eating everything.

PS. If that dish soap, olive oil water concoction doesn't have a bad affect on the plant let us know. I bet if you added a couple of eggs to it and let it sit for a week or so it would be almost like liquid fence which needs to lower its price. The oil and soap ought to make it really stick to the plant.

I have used the oil, water and soap mixture for years to shine leaves and as a natural insecticide without issue.  I sprayed my trumpets last night, but found little black bugs chomping away this morning.  These trumpets must be extra tasty! I cracked out the Sevin Dust-5 and gave the trumpets a good dusting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest madre

Only one of the baby Angel Trumpets that I started inside has survived.  However, as I was getting ready to put it outside in the pot that I used last year, noticed 3 more growing beautifully on their own!  This year, if these grow and get seed pods, I promise to leave them where they lay!  I've said it time and again...I can not grow ANYTHING from seed!  

Several of my little Rose of Sharon bushes were covered with those tiny little black  bugs a few weeks ago. I got rid of them with my "vile spray" that I mix up with garlic, hot sauce, dawn dishsoap, a beaten egg, and some water. This keeps the groundhog away too. It really seems to be working and i haven't lost any more plants since I began spraying with this.

Only one of the baby Angel Trumpets that I started inside has survived.  However, as I was getting ready to put it outside in the pot that I used last year, noticed 3 more growing beautifully on their own!  This year, if these grow and get seed pods, I promise to leave them where they lay!  I've said it time and again...I can not grow ANYTHING from seed!  

For some reason they do germinate better when they are allowed to lay. It may have something to do with the seeds staying damper. Fresh seed of Angel Trumpets are supposed to germinate better. A cold period also encourages germination although many of the seeds will germinate without it.

Are you talking Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia) or Devil's Trumpets (Datura).  Angel's Trumpets are a small tree with flowers that look down (from God) that is a Perennial and Devils Trumpet is a small shrubby plant with flowers that look up (from Satan).  

I've never heard of seeds from a Brugmansia.  Is that what you are talking about?  They are usually started from cuttings.

Datura on the other hand, is usually started from a stratified (cold treated) seed sown directly in the ground.

Petee -

I'm talking about Brugmansia.  I have found a combination of flea beetles that lavender mentioned as well as finding slugs hanging out on the plants at night.  The Sevin Dust seems to be helping with the flea beetles and a tasty bowl of dark beer got rid of the slugs.  I also put a fine cooper wire around the base of the two plants as I've been told that "electrocutes" the slugs.

I was replying to Madre's post about seed pods.  I should have just replied to that.  I'm wondering if Madre has a Brugmansia or a Datura.  Sometimes people call them both the same name plus I've never heard of seed pods on Brugmansia.  That would be good news.  No more hacking away at my Mother plant to get babies......maybe?

• 1 month later...
Guest madre

After the flower drops, leave the "stringy thing" (lol) alone.  The pod takes some time to form.  When it gets mature, it bursts open, spilling the seeds out.  I scooped the seeds, dried them on a paper towel overnight, and placed them in a baggie in the freezer over the winter.  As it turns out, I have MANY growing now!  No buds yet but they're getting there.  They must like this weather for some reason  ;D  I have one more potted, the others are in a tray and need to be potted.  If you want some, I would be happy to turn over a couple...just need to locate more pots.   :-/  Let me know and I'll tell you where.

That flower could have come from either the Brugmansia or a Datura.  They look the same.  However, Datura, Devil's Trumpet, Jimson Weed, is about 2 foot tall, reseeds outside, and has the seed ball that is pictured, and it is highly toxic to children and pets.  It's flower looks like a trumpet held up from the Devil.  They will bloom in one year.

Brugmansia, Angel's Trumpet, is a tropical house plant that usually lives in a pot, gets up to 8-9 foot tall over the years, and has flowers that point down from the Angels.  They do not usually get seedpods but are started from cuttings.  They take a couple of years to bloom.

Guest madre

Okay...I'm confused   :-/  The nursery card that came with it (it was given to me last year) says Angel's Trumpet "Datura".   ;D

My moon flowers started to bloom last week.they open in late evening and smell great. I have had them come back from the root and bloom until frost what ever you have they look and smell great. I have several angel trumpet colors if you want a cutting.

Okay...I'm confused   :-/  The nursery card that came with it (it was given to me last year) says Angel's Trumpet "Datura".   ;D

It just goes to show that you can't always trust a nursery card.  

Here are a couple of links that might help with the situation:

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/angel_trumpet_11-4-05.htm

http://anthrome.wordpress.com/2008/06/22/solonaceae-datura-metel-devils-trumpet-zombie-cucumber/