GoDuBois.com

Question about planting containers

Smokefree

I am thinking of planting a few tomatoes in old fruit baskets and wondered if I should line them with anything. The baskets are old so I am not worrying about ruining them or anything. I was just wondering if the plants would grow better if I lined the baskets with garbage bags. And if so, should the bags be white or black to keep the temperature of the soil around the roots down?

Do you mean those old bushel baskets made out of thin wood slats? If so I would line them to keep the soil moister and to keep the soil in place.  It will also keep the basket from rotting quickly. I think I would leave the bottom mostly free of plastic so that drainage would be adequate. It won't take long for the bottom to rot out but drainage is necessary. Just make sure that the garbage bags aren't treated with anything.

If the plastic is covered by the basket the color is immaterial. White won't reflect or black absorb unless it is in the sun. If you are talking about something that would expose the plastic to the sun I think white would be best.

Heck, you can even slice open a bag of potting soil and stick the tomato right in it.  As long as they get water and food they aren't fussy.  However, if the container gets too hot it can cook the roots so put some bricks or a couple of sticks under it for air flow.