GoDuBois.com

Fern peony

kanimal

If you are talking about a fern leaf peony you have a very beautiful and expensive plant. Don't cut it back! There is no reason to do so. Treat it like a regular peony and remove the dead foliage in late summer. They die back earlier than regular peonies and bloom earlier too. Plant it in full sun with the eyes just a couple of inches below the surface. Feed in the early spring and for best flower development make sure it has adequate water when the buds are forming. You can divide it if it gets too big. Call me when you do!

They are very expensive so if and when you do divide it make sure you know what you're doing.  It's very hard to replace them.  Research them well before you make a decision.  I would be happy to buy part of it from you but I wouldn't want the responsibility of your own plant dieing out.  They are just too expensive and pretty to worry about killing the original by transplanting.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/flowers/peony.htm

http://www.fernleafpeony.com

Thanks for the info.I'll share it with my aunt who inherited this beautiful plant from my great aunt.I'm not sure why she thought she needed to cut it back,maybe because it's getting so big ! The one thing we did know was how expensive it is

The one's you find are usually in old gardens. They have been popular since colonial times. I sort of inherited on too but the party that gave it to me from his late mother's garden dug it up at the wrong time of the year, I wasn't familiar with the plant, and this was before the internet. I didn't have a place prepared for it as we had just moved and I lost it. I've seen only one since in a nursery. Take good care of it.