GoDuBois.com

plant spacing

slk59

the recommended spacing for green beans is 6" apart. what would happen if you don't thin?  would it hurt to not thin to that?  we planted the seed about every 3" and they ALL came up! i hate to pull healthy plants out but don't want to end up getting fewer (or no) beans if they're too close.

any advice?

I never thin them. I make a row and sow them in. If you keep picking them they will pproduce more. I had 4 rows last year and got almost 100 pints and they were still coming on. I gave bunches away. I was always told not to pick them when they were wet cause they would rust. Must be the iron in them lol

Guest snellma

Geez.  I plant mine about an inch apart.  I will be picking my first beans this evening.  The green ones are ready but the yellow ones are going to need another day or two.  Could also have my first cucumber tonight or tomorrow.

Guest marbek

My beans are just beginning to poke through the ground. I placed them every 5 inches. I also have 2 rows of peas that are just poking through the ground. I still have to figure out what to do for a trellis for them.

My beans are just beginning to poke through the ground. I placed them every 5 inches. I also have 2 rows of peas that are just poking through the ground. I still have to figure out what to do for a trellis for them.

my son took differing lengths of thin cut branches and wove them into a kind of fence behind his peas.  Looks cool and they have something to cling to as they grow...just a thought