GoDuBois.com

Planting a Hazelnut tree/bush

Greg

Yes, I have two. They are huge as the bushes/trees sucker. The one gets a really small nut and was planted as  a pollinator. The other gets a larger nut but we never get any as the squirrels get them just as they ripen. We haven't gotten a nut in years. One year I picked them before they were ripe hoping they would ripen in the basement but that didn't work either.

I think the plants were ordered from Gurney's many years ago. Now, I wish I had gone with a named variety or at least something that got bigger nuts. I guess I just don't feel that these are worth fighting for.

They grow very fast and you might get a few nuts in 2 years. Mine at least are more like giant bushes than trees.

I also have them and they are like bushes. The nuts are plentiful but we do not eat them. We are planning on pulling them out sometime. My dad planted them many years ago and even when we were kids we never ate them. The squirrels and birds get to enjoy them.

The amish take care of any animal in the area. I live in the woods, and the only wildlife I see is a few birds. No Deer, bear, squirrels, turkey. Nothing!

Any idea how long I have to let them dry after they fall off the bush??

right now they are about 5ft tall with no leaves, buds, or catkins.

When can I expect any kind of bloomage??

Leaves and stuff??

Like I said, they are about 5 feet tall and look like I just planted a few sticks!