GoDuBois.com

High Density Growth Systems (Gardens)

nails4u2c

Well that's freaky! I thought I was going to see square foot gardening or something similar.

Well...here you go then... :)

Introducing Square Foot Gardening<br /><br /><p><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" height="350" width="425" id="VideoPlayback">

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />

<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />

<param name="movie" value="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6237463360761955560&hl=en&fs=true" />

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6237463360761955560&hl=en&fs=true" height="350" width="425" id="VideoPlayback" wmode="transparent" />

</object></p>

That's better! You should at least be able to get a crick in your back and your knees dirty when you garden. I'll bet the orchids would love that though. Still it's not something you can get your hubby to rig out of some plastic and ingenuity.

But it may come in handy if you need to grow a garden in your basement in winter.  :)

It would be nice to go downstairs to the basement in winter to pick lettuce......but I would not like to pay the electric bill, unless of course you were powered by the sun or wind, ;)

Oh, I'd love to give it a try but the whole concept seems a bit sophisticated for a home set up. You could maybe do something with those hanging planting bags and a bank of lights but the amount of light needed would be, as you say, very high. It has though got me thinking about planting orchids in those bags.

Also maybe veggies would work tacked to the house. Going vertical is excellent where you have critters and live in a valley. Sun is a problem and being able to move some of the sun lovers would be great.

Humm ...I never thought about tacking the veggie plants to the side of the house. Might have to give some thought to that, if those darn critters turn into bandits again this year. I just wonder in the top video how they get enough soil and nutrients with the curtain type thingy to sustain mature plants?

Foliar feeding? Or modified hydroponics?

A mature tomato plant would need a heck of a lot more soil than those little bags. The root system would be fairly large and unless it was in a light soiless mix you wouldn't be suspending it from plastic. A bunch of them would be a weight.  I see that what they have in there is parsley, strawberries and other small plants. I suppose if you drenched the entire system with water laced with fertilizer frequently it would work.

Wonder how they pick those strawberries?

I'm thinking that tacking things like eggplant and peppers to the house might just provide that additional amount of night warmth to get them to fruit. We have cool nights under all these trees and I rarely get regular peppers and egg plant.

Critters might think it was a buffet table if you tacked them at nose height.

The "pot" that they used at the Hydroponic Tomato greenhouse was a teeny little brick of porous material that basically directed the fertilizer laced water to the root system, and those tomato plants were 40 feet long when they quit producing.  It was hard to believe that all that plant and fruit came out of that tiny cube!

I'm wondering if the vibrations from the constant movement might be a factor too.  Plants love good vibes! :-)