GoDuBois.com

does anyone here remember this?

I've seen the directions somewhere and, of course, can't find them now. If I remember correctly you just line the outside of the roof with a metal barrier, add a sand and soil mixture, lay some screening over it to keep it from washing away, and cut holes where you want to plant some sort of a hardy succulent like Hens and Chicks.  You have to water it enough to keep the succulents alive but not like regular flowers or plants.

It's called a green roof sort of like the sod roofs they used out in the prairies at one time. They are getting more popular with the eco movement. I'm thinking of doing an article for the garden club newsletter on them. A lot of the plans are patented so if you wanted to put one on, say a dog house or shed, you would have to improvise. The trick would be to get it to drain properly and not compromise the existing roof. Guess you would have to be a builder to do anything on a scale larger than a dog house. I've seen pictures of them on houses but that would be a major undertaking and maybe not suitable for our weather.

I'm no builder but I'd say the biggest problem around here would be building a house that would support both a ton of dirt and the snow that we get. Maybe it would work on one of those houses that are half dug into a hillside. I think that you could do it on a doghouse though or maybe even a low shed. Sedums and hens and chickens would make it through the winter and don't need much in the way of soil. They are OK with minimum water as well and if the roof wasn't too high you could give it a squirt now and again.

If I could get my hands on some of that mesh they used on hills along the new road into State College I might give it a try. On a shed, of course, and when my husband was out of town.