GoDuBois.com

greenhouse question

Guest mcac

gonna start my seeds tomorrow inside. when do yu think i can put them out in the greenhouse. my hubby built me a cute little 4x 7' greenhouse out of our old wood windows! I love it but am kinda a newbe on this. never started too much from seed b4. any help would be great.

i got seeds, starter soil and several trays and pans.

i did not get the clear lids though. what could i use? plastic wrap?

I had a little woodframe greenhouse many years ago. A kerosene heater kept it warm all winter. I think you should be able to put plants out in an unheated one as soon as the temperatures get up to around 40- 50 degrees at night. Maybe a little cooler. cabbages and broccoli and things like lettuce will take cooler temperatures. Tomatoes need slightly warmer and peppers won't take much cold at all.

Plastic wrap or freezer bags work as covers.

All you really have to do is keep the temperatures above freezing for the more hardy annuals. What gets plants in the spring and fall is frost. As long as the glass is covering them it should eliminate that problem. The cooler plants are the slower they will grow.

I don't know how much heat those lights give off but if you can keep the night temperature up just a little in the spring you should be OK. The sun will make it really hot in the daytime. Air temperatures can go up to 80 degrees easily.

I've seen  people using barrels of water to keep night temperatures up in unheated greenhouses. The sun heats the water and it gives off the heat at night. Everything kind of depends on the weather and putting plants out in an unheated greenhouse is always a risk. Just never know what the weather will do. I've lost plants on the porch when there was an unexpected frost/freeze.

I have a wireless thermometer in the house that records the greenhouse temps.  I only heat it when it going to be below 40 degrees at night.  Otherwise the temp stays pretty nice after the first of May.  Nothing goes into it before then.

I have a wireless thermometer in the house that records the greenhouse temps.  I only heat it when it going to be below 40 degrees at night.  Otherwise the temp stays pretty nice after the first of May.  Nothing goes into it before then.

Thanks I need all the help i can get. wasn't sure when to put them out, and thanks for the thermometer idea!

Have a wonderful day!