GoDuBois.com

Dancing Dolphin

candlemissy

Awesome it is! It's a columnea similar to the one someone else had up here not long ago. I've never heard it called dancing dolphin before, usually it is goldfish plant. Your flowers sure do look like dolphins though! Good name for that one. There are lots of different kinds. I've got one with the rounder flowers that look like little fat fish.

that is so neat.  I would like a plant like that too.  Where can you get one?  I am the one that had the gold fish pic up before.  It is not blooming as well as it did a month ago.  Must be going into hibernation.  

I bought this out of michigan bulb and thats what they call it, it comes as a starter plant I just don't understand why it has taken 2 years just to get that big.Cause the pictures they show sure are bigger...LOL as always..

'Cause they are weird! I actually have 3 of them. One is huge and got really leggy after being brought back in about 3 years ago. I cut it back and have lived with stubs ever since. It blooms but it never has really grown out. Now I see that I am finally getting some growth. I don't know that it will vine out but the new leaves are an improvement. They seem to take a very long time to adapt to any changes. Maybe once yours has settled in it will take off.

They are all Gesnariads but then so are African violets. The lipstick plant and the flying dolphin plant are different genuses. It goes family, genus, species and variety if there is one. They do look more alike than that degree of closeness, don't they? Looks aren't necessarily what they base the classifications on.

Ask snellma. There is indeed a southern azalea that blooms in the fall. I didn't believe it when I read it but she confirmed it. There are also, I hear but never have seen, repeat bloomers in the Rhody clan. The only fall blooming clematis I know of is the white sweet Autumn clematis.

Now, I really have to go finish with the canning. Somebody gave me tons of eggplant. I started canning caponota last night and never did get finished. I had too much for the two pressure canners I had ready to go.

Hey, Lavender,

As you know I'm 100 miles southwest of you and the rhodos, azalea and clematis are all blooming here!

Is there a different type that blooms in the fall or what?

Some Clematis will bloom till frost kills the tops.  I imagine that Rhododendrons and Azaleas could rebloom in a very long summer also.  Other plants can too.  How lucky to have two bloom times on those plants.

• 2 months later...