GoDuBois.com

Gnats in indoor plants

Guest Tracy96

Guest Tracy96

I have recently had a severe gnat problem in my home.  I traced the source to my Brugmansia plant that I brought in for winter.  I could not figure out how to get rid of these little pests b/c they were multiplying extremely fast.  Anyhow, if anyone else has this problem....it's simple to solve....just water your plant with hot water...the gnats die and so do the eggs and larve.  I found this solution online but didn't think it would work.  We've been gnat free for a few days now.  It takes 10 days for the eggs to hatch so we'll have to wait and see.  The hot water will not harm the plant but the gnats can't tolerate it.  The gnats live in the top of the soil so you have to remove all dead vegetation and make sure you water enough so the water sits on top of the soil for a few secs.  I really didn't want to give my plant this much water but at least it was a safe way to get rid of the darn gnats.  I have a huge pot so it took quite a bit of water for mine...LOL

I've found that just letting the soil dry out will get rid of them as well. That and, as you say, keeping the soil clean. Of course brugs need so much water that might not be practical.

I'd say that this was safe with a large plant but be very careful with a smaller one. You could probably get the water hot enough to cook the roots. One of the ways of killing weeds is to dump boiling water on them.

Aren't those fungus gnats a pain?

While the Brugmansias are indoors they are extremely susceptible to bugs, so get one of the yellow sticky traps to catch any adults before they lay eggs again.  I put one at soil level in each large Brugmansia or group of small ones, and hang another in any other area with plants.

I get my traps at Hanzeleys.

I have also heard of homemade sticky traps but can't remember how it was done, other than it needs to be done on yellow paper.

Guest Tracy96

While the Brugmansias are indoors they are extremely susceptible to bugs, so get one of the yellow sticky traps to catch any adults before they lay eggs again.  I put one at soil level in each large Brugmansia or group of small ones, and hang another in any other area with plants.

I get my traps at Hanzeleys.

I have also heard of homemade sticky traps but can't remember how it was done, other than it needs to be done on yellow paper.

I'll try that if I see anymore but I think I killed them all by swatting them.  They're not too bright when it comes to avoiding people...LOL

Fungus Gnats come from the soil and as soon as it's moist enough more will probably hatch.  They probably won't kill your plants but can damage the roots to the point that it won't grow well.  The traps are cheap.  I think three for $2 but I can't remember exactly.  They last forever or until they are completely covered by the little buggers.

Guest Tracy96

Fungus Gnats come from the soil and as soon as it's moist enough more will probably hatch.  They probably won't kill your plants but can damage the roots to the point that it won't grow well.  The traps are cheap.  I think three for $2 but I can't remember exactly.  They last forever or until they are completely covered by the little buggers.

The hot water was supposed to kill all the eggs and larva.  So far we're gnat free.  If I see more I'll do it again and buy some sticky traps as well.  Thanks for the advice.  My Brug is the only plant that had them.  I keep it in a different room so my dogs don't have access to it since the leaves are poisionous.