GoDuBois.com

Brugmansia

Petee

I would remove that plant from where an animal can reach it. If the cat shows any signs of disorientation or the other symptoms that Tracy mentioned (or dilated pupils although I'm not sure how you could tell on a cat) it is cause for serious concern. Brugmansia is a very near relative of the Jimson weed or loco weed that so concerns cattlemen in the west.

The kitten only stays here when my daughter comes home from college.  she did chew one leaf, but she seems to be fine.  I will keep the plant away from the window ledge, where she sits, and the water bottle handy to spray the kitten if she goes near it when she it home again!

• 2 weeks later...

The kitten only stays here when my daughter comes home from college.  she did chew one leaf, but she seems to be fine.  I will keep the plant away from the window ledge, where she sits, and the water bottle handy to spray the kitten if she goes near it when she it home again!

Okay, now we have a new puppy romping through the house and I am going to have to stick this thing on the dining room table to keep her away from  it ..she already tried to chew a passion flower leaf....nothing is sacred.   I brought both of them in last fall and have  tried to keep them alive!  And, I don't want my dog to get sick!!!

When is it  going to get warm enough to put it (the plant, of course)outside???????????????  I want real spring.....   I will just put the plants in the basement for now.

I don't think it is ever going to get warm to stay. I bought radish seeds yesterday with the intention of finding a dry spot to plant them in. The whole yard is soaked but there must be a spot somewhere.  Didn't get home in time to do it and now it is cold again. Dang!

I suppose puppies will chew anything and cats all like some greens in their diet. Our dog goes out and grazes on grass and usually promptly throws-up. Nibbling the house plants is a definite no-no. Too many of them are poisonous. Some passionflowers have an edible fruit. I think all have a poisonous root. The other parts vary depending on the species of the plant.

I thin mine is recovering from its bad bout with mealy bugs. It kind of went dormant this winter. I have hopes for it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The  Brugmansia I bought at the plant sale last year is over 3'   tall.  Leaves are everywhere...and yes, it is up on the dining room bench to keep it away from the critters.

When will I start to see leaves on my Wisteria????????   (Did I spell that right??? I am tired!)

Your Wisteria will send out blossoms first if it is going to bloom this year.  The leaves come right on the flowers heels,  They are a little later because of our cooler temps.  The flowers can be killed by the frost, so the later the plant starts growing for the year, the better.

Last frost date is approximately May 31 but they can come later.  One year my garden froze to the soil level on June 21.

Guest Tracy96

My brugmansia was doing so well but then all the leaves wilted and fell off.  I repotted it and gave it some mild fertilizer.  I'm hoping this works.  I am determined to get this thing to bloom this year.  I've had it a long time and it never bloomed.  I can't even remember what color it is.  I think it is peach but might be yellow.  It looks like 2 1/4 sticks approx 3 1/2 feet high...boo hoo :'(

As long as the stem doesn't shrivel it's probably just looking for more water.  If it has good drainage (absolutely no water sitting under the pot) it should come back.

About May 1 start giving it fertilizer and stand back!  Set it outside after ALL frost is done and keep it watered well.  You should get flowers about August if not sooner.

Guest Tracy96

Thanks Petee!  It seems to be coming back already but it's too early to tell.  When it does or if it blooms this year I'll be sure to post a pic.  I just can't wait to see what color it is...LOL

If it dropped it's leaves because of too little water, you will probably want to give it a bigger pot as soon as possible.  This is one plant that likes to be overpotted.  It will not tolerate dry soil.

Now my plant is getting quite large...about 3-3 1/2  feet.  I re-potted it Saturday.

And that is from that small start last summer Petee....I re-potted the Passion Flower too...

it has new shoots starting.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

I brought my plant in from outside 3-4 weeks ago and it is blooming again.  It is absolutely beautiful.

I bought it in May of 07 at the BUDS plant sale....it was just a small start, it is now appros 5' high and it smells heavenly.

They grow fast!  One or two years and you can have a large plant.

That one always smelled like Baby Powder and bloomed pretty late in the summer so you could have it blooming indoors too.

I will have more at the BUDS plant sale in the spring.