GoDuBois.com

Kids and gardening

PSTeach

Does anyone know any groups that encourage kids to garden? I was thinking about 4H, but I think they deal more with the animal aspect, though I am not sure. My son is really into gardening and planting, and I haven't come across any other kids that are.

I think I met your son at the Farmer's Market. While we (the Down to Earth Garden Club) are not specifically set up for kid's gardening I think he is old enough to be treated like any member who is interested in gardening. I'm not sure exactly what he would want to do but I'll pm you with specifics. Part of our mission is certainly to encourage gardeners and we will help in any way we can.

We (the BUDS) have always welcomed children to come and attend meetings, garden with us, borrow books, whatever it takes to encourage the children to learn to grow.  That's our job.

We had a boy who was brought from Ridgway to the meetings specifically because no other club that they had called would take him.  He was wonderful and a couple of us even took him overnight to Longwood Gardens.  He was ecstatic and he made our visit so much more fun!

Children are the most important seeds to nurture.

We will even fund projects for children.  Bring the kid and an idea.

My children enjoy gardening also. Maybe we could set up a kids gardening club.

Please contact us. We would certainly be willing to support you. I can't but think that the kids are bored with going to meetings with a bunch of older people. Maybe one of the schools would be willing to set up a little "community" type garden for them. We could also turn one of the beds over to them or help them start a new one. We've got the plants!

We've met whoever's son and he is ready to be president. Of anything! He actually looks better than either of the current presidential candidates.

We also would welcome any kids.  Just come to a meeting with kids and an idea.  Our meeting is set up so anyone can come for the educational talk and refreshments and then leave before the boring business part, or stay as they choose.