GoDuBois.com

Self Watering Containers

klsm54

I bought a big self watering planter this year, big enough to grow 2 tomato plants. It's pretty good for a low maintenance gardener, you only water, by filling a 4 gallon reservoir in the bottom of the planter, every two or three days.

I am really pleased at how the plants are growing.  They have lots of healthy foilage, plentiful fruit, and have grown taller than the 50" cage that is mounted on the planter. I may even spring for another one next year.

Posted Image

Yeah, I'll probably pick up a couple of the inserts for round pots we already have.

Or........you can build your own.  Here is a site with lots of ideas about making them.  http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

I'm not able to make my own, so that wasn't an option. After 2 years in this new house, without a homegrown tomato, it would have been worth twice the price. And I'll still have a long way to go before I get to a $64.00 tomato....  ;) ;D

You can also set a gallon jug of water or a 2 liter pop bottle in the plant if there's room, or even beside one in the garden.  Loosen the lid just a teeny bit and poke one tiny hole in the bottom.  Depending on how large you made the bottom hole, it can water for 24 hours.  Start with a very small hole and make it larger as needed.  Tightening or loosening the lid will help adjust the flow too.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up a couple of the inserts for round pots we already have.

Or........you can build your own.  Here is a site with lots of ideas about making them.  http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

I'm not able to make my own, so that wasn't an option. After 2 years in this new house, without a homegrown tomato, it would have been worth twice the price. And I'll still have a long way to go before I get to a $64.00 tomato....  ;) ;D

I have to look at those instructions more closely when I get some time. They look as though they would be more suitable for very large pots.

I absolutely never eat tomatoes in the winter time. They aren't worth the trouble to chew them.