GoDuBois.com

name of a flower

wendy

You're welcom! Let's play flower trivia.

They reseed themselves like crazy and attract Japanese beetles. I dug up the plant that I had growing in the garden across from Harley-Davidson. It wasn't as pretty as yours and I couldn't stand the beetles.

What was loosestrife? There was some purple liatris in that bed until the groundhog ate it. It looked sort of like purple loosestrife. Or do you mean that the yellow flowers are loosestrife? There is a yellow loosestrife, Lysmachia punctata. I have a purple leafed form of it but the flowers are much smaller than evening primrose. I've never seen the green leafed form in person (plant?). It is hard to tell from the pictures.

The blue is columbine. Gorgeous isn't it?

See how the flowers are whorled around the stem in your picture? That is the way the flowers are on my purple leafed loosestrife. It is characteristic of the yellow loosestrifes. I can't see that Wendy's picture, can you?

Let me give you some gooseneck loosestrife! I put plastic over it last year and hit it with Round-up but it is coming back this year. Very attractive plant though. I've got some purple loosestrife like the one that clogs the water ways sitting on my porch in a pot. It is supposedly a domestic one called, I think Modern. Someone gave it to me and I was hoping it was safe. From what I read I had better figure out a way to kill it before I get into trouble with it. I hate to do it!

Know what you mean about the columbine. They do mostly look like bells.

This is my wife's baby..

I have a blue one that comes back every year in, of all things, a terra cotta hose pot!   The ones safely in the ground die, but this thing, exposed to the worst of temps, has come back for about 8 years now.

what are those, they are pretty, do they come back every year?

They are columbine. You are probably familiar with the wild red and yellow ones that grow around here. They are perennials although some of the more exotic ones will not make it through our harsh winters. I grew some McKenna hybrids from seed once and they lasted about 5 years.

col_9078.jpeg

You should be able to grow them from seed but you have to be careful to deadhead any plants you get. If they reseed themselves you wind up with a patch of the common pink garden columbine. When mine started to reseed themselves I thought it was great but didn't give a thought to the fact that they were hybrids. The pink are such good growers that they crowd everthing else out.

This plant is also known as a Loosestrife however it's not a Lythrum.  Either way - it's on the Noxious Weed list for PA.  

Yes, we were mostly talking about Lysimachias as in the yellow loosestrifes and the gooseneck loosestrifes. The purple one that clogs the water ways is a Lythrum. That is what I have on my porch that I must destroy. Do you notice how much of it you see around here anymore? I know of 3 sites and I'm sure there are many more.