GoDuBois.com

Mini Greenhouse

If I didn't have the big greenhouses, I'd get one. They look as though they would be terrific for seedlings. The sun would heat them up in the daytime and if you had to you could throw a blanket over them at night to conserve the heat.

All my veggies have really grown the last week. I swear they know that planting date is getting near! Cold weather stuff has been out in the unheated greenhouse for weeks. Tomatoes and other stuff is going out this weekend.

I saved several of my windows when we had them replaced. For many years I have wanted to build a sort of raised bed with the windows above. I thought that I could rig it to allow me to open the windows on hot days. I haven't tried it yet but maybe next year? When I was a kid my dad had a junk car parked in our yard. He used that as a greenhouse for a couple of years. The plants did well.

I've seen cold frames that were just bulging with healthy plants. A little fresh manure will heat them if you want to get an extra early start with tomatoes. I'll bet even a layer of grass clippings would do it. They get really hot.

I like the car idea. All that metal and upholstery would really hold the heat. I had a small unheated shed I used for awhile. I used heating cables for starting the seeds and switched to a kerosene heater for cold nights. It worked too.