GoDuBois.com

squash - seeds or plants?

I've never used plants for summer squash but have had fairly good luck with them for butternut squash. They have to be protected though. In my yard baby winter squash plants are very attractive to squash bugs which really sets them back. They don't bother the ones that come from seed as much. Guess I'll go with seeds too.

Guest snellma

Never used plants so my vote is for seeds.

Just thought I would let you know I will be picking squash out of my garden this weekend.  Can't wait to taste them.  Having fresh sugar snap peas tonight and will be canning beans also this weekend.

Guest snellma

Have already canned 18 pints of beans and only planted 4 small rows of beans.  Already had to pull the peas so will do a second planting of beans.  The garden is phenominal this year.

If it ever warms up enough to get out in the garden without a winter coat and mittens I'm going to plant the cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. I've got some really interesting flowering kale strictly for decoration that looks like a rose on a stem.

Guest snellma

If it ever warms up enough to get out in the garden without a winter coat and mittens I'm going to plant the cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. I've got some really interesting flowering kale strictly for decoration that looks like a rose on a stem.

I'll be anxious to see a picture of that.

If a small family wanted to grow several kinds of squashes and not end up with lots of seeds left over, it would be nice to be able to buy one plant at a time instead of seed packs.  

I grow one bucket of straight necked yellow squash every year on my deck.

Guest snellma

Here are some updated pictures of my garden.  The rain has beat the beans pretty good so they aren't standing up as straight as they should.  Plus the fact that they are full of beans.  We have already pulled out our peas but I am going to put more beans in there.

post-614-13623823404305_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823404423_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823404541_thumb.jpg

post-614-1362382340465_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823404762_thumb.jpg

NICE!

Here are some updated pictures of my garden.  The rain has beat the beans pretty good so they aren't standing up as straight as they should.  Plus the fact that they are full of beans.  We have already pulled out our peas but I am going to put more beans in there.