GoDuBois.com

Gooseberry Info

mosha

Is anyone aware of any restrictions regarding the planting of gooseberries in this area of Pa?  

Also, does anyone know of a taste preference between the green and red gooseberries?

This is what PSU's Dept. of Agricultural Sciences has to say about it: "Confusion often exists about the legality of growing gooseberries and currants since up until 1966 a federal ban prohibited the growth of Ribes. The ban was established because gooseberries and currants can serve as alternate hosts to white pine blister rust (Cronartium ribicola), a fungus that needs both Ribes and white pine to complete its life cycle. This federal legislation was rescinded in 1966. In 1933, Pennsylvania passed a law that limited growing gooseberries and currants in certain areas; however, the law is not enforced. Therefore, all Ribes can be grown in the state. If you have white pine nearby, though, you may want to consider growing less-susceptible types of Ribes. Black currant (Ribes nigrum) is by far the most susceptible, and for this reason many areas outside of Pennsylvania still prohibit growing it. Resistant black currant varieties are available. Red and white currants are less susceptible, and gooseberry is the least susceptible."

We have both white pine and red currents growing on our property. Both were there when we bought the place and I don't think we have ever had any trouble with disease. Sorry I've never grown gooseberries so I can't comment on the flavor of the different varieties.

Ahhh,  gooseberries, I love them!  I  grew  up on a  farm and we had the red ones.  I  want to plant  some, I think I asked  on  another thread  about having to plant more than one for pollination.  I'm just not  sure where to put them yet.