GoDuBois.com

Please identify this for me

Guest snellma

Guest snellma

Can anyone help identify this tree for me?  I just saw it in the back of our neighborhood and fell in love with it.  It reminds me of a honeysuckle in tree form.  The flowers have a very sweet smell also.  The tree isn't very big so I was thinking about going and trying to dig it up.  It is actually in a small patch of woods so I doubt anyone would mind.

post-614-13623823408984_thumb.jpg

post-614-13623823409061_thumb.jpg

post-614-1362382340913_thumb.jpg

Depending on the species and state, native azaleas and Rhododendrons are protected by law. There are both state and federal laws governing protected species. Here is a link that might help you identify which azaleas are native to your area. If it is public property and you dig it there is the possibility of a fine if it is protected. Permission must be obtained to dig on private property and even then there can be problems. http://www.ferngullynursery.com/NativeAzaleaPlantMaps.aspx'> http://www.ferngullynursery.com/NativeAzaleaPlantMaps.aspx  

Moving a native tree from the woods into your yard is always tricky and does not always end happily. Often there are microbes in the soil that are necessary for the plant's growth. The soil in built up areas tends to be very different from woodland soil as often fill is brought in. A similar azalea that was raised in a nursery would be much more likely to survive.

Guest snellma

You might try your hand at taking some cuttings and raising your own plant.

Thanks.  I knew you guys would help me.

I actually did take a cutting and used the root enhancer.  I have never used it before so have no idea what to do with it.  I did what the directions told me (wet the tip, dip it in the powder, and plant it).  Do I water it like normal?  How long should I leave it in the cup before checking it?

I would also like to get some wisteria cuttings and try rooting them with the root enhancer.

I will do some more reading tomorrow when I am not so tired.  Right now it is off to bed.

The easiest way to handle it is to pot the whole thing into a plastic bag and seal it. This way it will stay moist. Put it in light but not in the sun. Make sure you have at least one node covered by powder and soil. The roots will come from these nodes. It can take any where from 2-6 months for the cutting to get enough roots to survive.

One of the best ways to root azaleas is to find a low growing branch, scrap off a bit of bark, cover it with rooting powder and pin it back down into the soil. You can cover it with some compost or mulch so that it stays moist. In a few years you will have a nice plant complete with roots that you can dig up. I've done this with great success.

Take cuttings only from a wisteria that blooms. Some of them take so long to bloom that it will drive you to distraction or maybe they never bloom. I think I have one of those. They sucker freely so perhaps you could dig up a small plant near the main one.   I don't suppose they are very difficult to root. I have never tried as the one I have is a non-blooming freely suckering nuisance. You can use the same method as with the azalea or put some rooting hormone in water. I've been told that they will root that way as well.

You're welcome to come to my house and dig some Wisteria shoots.  We've been cutting this critter back to nothing because it's entirely too happy where it is.  You almost have to make it think it's dieing to make it flower.

It has to be either root bound or root pruned.  Too many roots, no flowers.  You also trim the top like a grape vine.  One majoy stem with short off shoots.  Then barring a late frost, flowers!  Check out the one at the Medicine Shoppe It always blooms.

Guest snellma

You're welcome to come to my house and dig some Wisteria shoots.  We've been cutting this critter back to nothing because it's entirely too happy where it is.  You almost have to make it think it's dieing to make it flower.

It has to be either root bound or root pruned.  Too many roots, no flowers.  You also trim the top like a grape vine.  One majoy stem with short off shoots.  Then barring a late frost, flowers!  Check out the one at the Medicine Shoppe It always blooms.

Don't forget I am in SC.  I wish I could just swing by the Medicine Shoppe to check it out but that would be a long drive for a flower.

I'm surprised the wisteria survives up there.  I would have thought it was too cold.  I can't say that I ever remember seeing one the whole time I lived there.

If I can't get one to start I will just go to Lowes or Wal-Mart and buy one. :K)

If you do plant one make sure it gets plenty of sun. I'm sure that is the problem with mine as I bought it at Alvetro's. It wasn't a named variety but it should have been nursery raised from good stock.

Remember to check for grafting if you decide to take cuttings for rooting of trees or bushes and especially roses. If a plant is grafted it probably isn't going to produce a very strong root system, which is why it is grafted in the first place. Same is true if you dig up suckers. Suckers from grafted stock aren't going to look like the plant they came from.

Cuttings are the only way of getting extra stock from hybrids. (Unless you can tissue culture in your kitchen.) That is why so many of them now say right on the tags that vegetative reproduction of the plant is prohibited. Also, why you will often find plants that look very similar to a hot new variety but they will not have tags on them. The plant police are gonna get us if we don't watch out!

My Wisteria wasn't a graft so the suckers will do great.  I know you come to DuBois to visit and if you ever chance to go by the Medicine Shippe look at the Wisteria right on the front of the building.  It is pretty rootbound with pavement all around it and I think that's why it blooms well.

The frost does get my Wisteria most years because it's colder here where I live than in town but it is beautiful when it does bloom.