GoDuBois.com

Mandevilla

DrSeussie

I bought mine late in the season last year (July). I searched the internet on instructions to winter it over, but they were too confusing. I put it under the porchroof to eventually take it into the house, but the sudden cold weather got it. I cut it back  and quit watering it, but put it in a warm part sunny spot inside. For days there was just a "stick" coming out of the soil and then all of a sudden I have 2 shoots coming from the soil beside the "stick". From nothing to a foot+ in a matter of days. What do you think I should do now? I'm assuming to lightly water and some sun. Should I keep it cut back until maybe April? This was just an experiment and I was surpirsed to get those shoots, but now that I have them, I want to encorage more growth.

Guest snellma

I would suggest keeping it in a warm place, watering it, and treating it like a house plant.  I really don't know much about them but if you have green shoots I would want to keep them growing.  Who knows, maybe more will come up.

• 1 month later...

You can still transplant it if the soil ball is solid and will not crumble.  At this point you do not want to break any of the developing root hairs.  You can also just set it into a prettier pot if the current pot is large enough.  It might even help with keeping the tall plant stable.

Yes, I'd like to put it back outside. I leanrned my lesson last year about gradually...

although for this one, I think I'll wait until I'm sure the nights are very warm.

The transplanting will be a 2 man job as the shoots are vined up a 3 foot trellis.

To think we have to go to all this trouble and I saw beautiful poinsettias and hibiscus growing like trees outside while on our vacation in the Caribbean Islands in January.

Vining plants on a trellis are a pain to repot. Make sure it has good drainage. I repotted mine into a pot that had an attached bottom catch plate and for some reason it wasn't draining properly. Killed it dead after a couple of rains.

I've seen poinsettias grown outdoors and they are indeed impressive. I don't think anyone expects them to be a huge bush when we see them in pots. Jade trees are another one. They grow them as hedges in Calif. I don't know that I've ever seen a hibiscus "in the wild". It must be an impressive site when in bloom. I have one of the double tropical ones in the greenhouse and it is still blooming. Gorgeous and to think I almost let it get frosted because of the size and weight.

Guest snellma

We have hibiscus planted all along the back of our garage.  They are beautiful.  Someone in downtown Charleston has a poinsettia outside their house.  It is probably 20 feet high.  I did a double take the first time I saw it.

My son is heading to that area in the fall. I'm hoping the other decision maker thinks warm climate sounds good for the retirement years. I think I could deal with missing the first snowfall when I look out my window and see my driveway lined with hibiscus.

I'm checking out desert gardening. If we head anywhere it will be west. The humidity in the south might be good for the plants but I don't think I could take it. I know I'm not going to be growing orchids in the Arizona sun so maybe I'll just stay here.