GoDuBois.com

Nature's fire hydrants

A dog's urine is high in nitrogen and it causes the same kind on burning that pouring strong fertilizer on the plant would. It is the nitrogen not the acidity that causes the problem. The easiest thing to do is spray the plant often to dilute the urine and wash it away.

I will vouch for the fact that rugosa roses will put up with anything a dog can dish out. They survived for years on the Brady Street parking lot. I have been told that barberry and peonies  are also resistant.

It is possible that plants that are salt resistant may also be resistant to urine. You could try mock orange, potentilla, lilac, dwarf Mugho pine, Colorado spruce, Austrian pine or Tamarack.

I know peonies are poisonous and nothing ever eats my mock orange so I'm guessing that it is too. Lilacs maybe too. The rest I've never heard were a problem. Poisonous is kind of relative. Yew and monkshood will kill you, some will cause your mouth to burn and some will give you an upset tummy. An awful lot of plants will have some ill effect if you eat them.  You can safely eat roses and rose hips.

Will your pup actually eat this stuff? He would have to ingest it for it to harm him. I never had a dog who ate the bushes and our black lab would drag rotting carcasses home for dinner. The ones that are poisonous to humans are poisonous to dogs as well. If he does eat the bushes you might want to think about things that have thorns or barely edible foliage like the barberry or the evergreens. You can check evergreens on an individual basis as to how urine tolerant and poisonous they are. Yew is deadly.

Stay away from arborvitae.  I just remembered what my mother's male dog did to my Rheingold arborvitae in just a week.

Yew're welcome and the Yew part came from Agatha Christie and not a plant book but, I'm sure she got it right. (Actually, I checked her out and it is really bad news as the amount that will kill a dog is so small.)  She likes to kill off people with monkshood, too. And I think there was one time that someone mixed up foxglove and spinach but he must have been as idiot.

A friend's puppy chewed on the exposed root of a Rhododendron in his yard and became severely ill with seizures.  Even though he lived, they eventually had to have him put to sleep because it had damaged his nervous systom too badly.

A lot of plants have some toxicity and it depends on how much of it is eaten.  

It's probably best for plants and dogs to have plants blocked off from dogs and vice versa. if possible.