2 cups baking soda

2 cups borax

Use 2 Tbsp. for each load.

Fill rinse pocket with white vinegar.

2 cups baking soda

2 cups borax

Use 2 Tbsp. for each load.

Fill rinse pocket with white vinegar.

I mixed this up yesterday and ran a load of dishes.....WOW!

Guest snellma

As soon as I get some more baking soda I will be using it too.  Just washing out my blender from making the laundry detergent I noticed a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I put it in both...

I've also tried the borax/soda combo.  It makes the dishes look so nice and clean.  One problem though...sometimes (no all the time) someone in the house doesn't like to clean their peanut butter spoons.  I've found that this doesn't clean off too well, nor does the left overs in the bottom of my cocoa cups and I don't want to be wasting water washing dishes before I wash my dishes.  So what did I do?  I added a $1 box of cheapo dishwashing detergent from family dollar to the mixture and voila!!!!  clean dishes.  I also put vinegar in the jet dry compartment and this leaves no spots.

I make this and use washing soda. It is important for the best results to use hot water when using Borax. I like the idea of mixing with a box of cheapo dish washing soap. Thanks for the tip....I will try that the next time.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/a/howboraxworks.htm

Although it has numerous industrial uses, in the home borax is used as a natural laundry booster, multipurpose cleaner, fungicide, preservative, insecticide, herbicide, disinfectant, dessicant, and ingredient in making 'slime'. Borax crystals are odorless, whitish (can have various color impurities), and alkaline. Borax is not flammable and is not reactive. It can be mixed with most other cleaning agents, including chlorine bleach.

I noticed the p-nut butter thing too. I put the vinegar in the rinse compartment and it made a really bad smell in my dishwasher and my whole house. Like burnt vinegar. Did anyone else have this happen? I just can't figure out why; but the smell was so bad in the house that it made your eyes water. I had to open a few windows for a bit.

• Administrators

I noticed the p-nut butter thing too. I put the vinegar in the rinse compartment and it made a really bad smell in my dishwasher and my whole house. Like burnt vinegar. Did anyone else have this happen? I just can't figure out why; but the smell was so bad in the house that it made your eyes water. I had to open a few windows for a bit.

Are you using distilled white vinegar?

• 3 weeks later...

I read that on tipnut (I think that was the site) that this recipe left etching on alot of the glasses and it was not good.  Did anyone else have that problem? I also read that after a few uses that it will leave a white residue on the dishes.  Is any of that true? I wanted to try this.. but still not sure if its works or not.  Thanks!

Guest snellma

I read that on tipnut (I think that was the site) that this recipe left etching on alot of the glasses and it was not good.  Did anyone else have that problem? I also read that after a few uses that it will leave a white residue on the dishes.  Is any of that true? I wanted to try this.. but still not sure if its works or not.  Thanks!

I haven't had any problems with it.  

Guest Tracy96

I quit using my dishwasher for 1 month just to see how much it would change our electric bill....it saved us $30 in 1 month.  I don't think I'll be usine mine anymore except when we have big family dinners.  It is not worth $30 a month when I can just wash them myself in the sink.  Ours is supposedly and energy saver dishwasher too!

I've tried both versions of this and I really don't care for either one. The baking soda one didn't seem to get the dishes clean and the one with the washing soda and borax leaves a white residue on the plastic things.

• 1 year later...