GoDuBois.com

Pretty Orchid Bloomed!

lavender

I like that one. Reminds me of starfish for some reason. :)

Why do orchids like their roots out of their pot??

Most orchids don't grow in the ground unlike our lady slippers. They are "epiphytic" growing on trees usually. They like waving their roots around because in their normal habitat they do exactly that. Since they don't get their water and nutrients from a substance like soil that stores them the roots are out there to catch what they can from rain and what is available from chance debris. That is why most are potted in bark. The roots like air and will rot in soil.  

Most orchids don't grow in the ground unlike our lady slippers. They are "epiphytic" growing on trees usually. They like waving their roots around because in their normal habitat they do exactly that. Since they don't get their water and nutrients from a substance like soil that stores them the roots are out there to catch what they can from rain and what is available from chance debris. That is why most are potted in bark. The roots like air and will rot in soil.  

Thank you!!! I've always wondered that. Is that why they tell you to water them with ice cubes?

Most of the stuff they plant orchids in doesn't hold water very well and drys out quickly. Once it is dry it is hard to get it wet again. To get it wet you have to let water run through it for awhile or it just runs off or let it stand in water which the roots don't like. The ice cube is a compromise. It lets the water go into the bark slowly enough for it to be absorbed without getting the roots too wet.