GoDuBois.com

Warm Weather Leads To Early Maple Syrup Production

mr.d

Warm weather leads to early maple syrup production

Sunday, January 22nd 2017

FRIEDENS -- It's only January, but maple syrup production has already begun in some parts of Somerset County.

At Baer Bros. Maple Camp, it's time to start tapping trees and collecting sap.

Mike Lynch owns the business with his wife.

"This warm weather, there's been no freezes, so we decided to tap and get started collecting sap now, in case the weather doesn't turn cold and stay cold," Lynch said.

Warm weather the last two days had his family getting to work.

Thirteen-year-old Reagan loves being in the woods.

"I've been doing this, since, well, whenever I could try to keep up," Reagan said.

His dad says right now, they're getting a gallon or two of sap per minute.

"What I've checked in the last week with producers, is anywhere from 60 to 90 gallons to make a gallon of maple syrup, so it's not very sweet," Lynch said.

He said the low sugar content means it takes more sap to make maple syrup.

There are thousands of feet of piping. In all, there are about 3,500 trees.

"We probably have 800 taps out of our 5,000 in, so we're going to slowly work at it this week,

Warm weather leads to early maple syrup production

Sunday, January 22nd 2017

FRIEDENS -- It's only January, but maple syrup production has already begun in some parts of Somerset County.

At Baer Bros. Maple Camp, it's time to start tapping trees and collecting sap.

Mike Lynch owns the business with his wife.

"This warm weather, there's been no freezes, so we decided to tap and get started collecting sap now, in case the weather doesn't turn cold and stay cold," Lynch said.

Warm weather the last two days had his family getting to work.

Thirteen-year-old Reagan loves being in the woods.

"I've been doing this, since, well, whenever I could try to keep up," Reagan said.

His dad says right now, they're getting a gallon or two of sap per minute.

"What I've checked in the last week with producers, is anywhere from 60 to 90 gallons to make a gallon of maple syrup, so it's not very sweet," Lynch said.

He said the low sugar content means it takes more sap to make maple syrup.

There are thousands of feet of piping. In all, there are about 3,500 trees.

"We probably have 800 taps out of our 5,000 in, so we're going to slowly work at it this week,

Do you want a pint or a quart?

If it's the best quality, first run and the best lightest grade, then I will buy a gallon.  Next time I make Indian Pudding I want to use Maple Syrup, and I also like it best over good quality vanilla ice cream.  It never spoils so in a year we would use it.

I don't have a problem with diabetes, but for those who do, maple syrup is a good source of inulin, not insulin, that helps with diabetes.  There are lots of foods with inulin.  It also aids in digestion.

http://www.prebiotic.ca/inulin.html