GoDuBois.com

miniature globe arborvitae

If you can send a picture of them to me and drop off a sample of a branch then the Master Gardeners will diagnosis it accurately for you.  I'll PM you.  It could be a variety of things from bugs to disease to old age.

It's normal for arborvitae to turn brown in the middle especially during the winter. They usually green up again during the summer. 

This comes from Field's Nursery:

Q: The arborvitae I purchased are turning brown in the center near the trunk, should I be worried?
A: Your evergreen arborvitae are doing what comes naturally to them, which is known as an interior shed. This 
will generally start happening in late August, and continue until late September. It is also not uncommon for 
them to do it earlier or soon after transplanting. This browned foliage will fall to the ground with time. Or you 
can do what is called finger-combing; this is where you would help this process along by using your fingers to 
gently pull off the brown foliage. This is not necessary, but some homeowners prefer doing this for aesthetic 
reasons. We also suggest you give your new arborvitae a root stimulator in spring. This is a liquid fertilizer with 
a B1 additive. The root stimulator will help promote new fibrous roots, which are the true work horses of any 
plant. You may also want to incorporate some Soil Sulfur in and around the soil at the base of the plant. This 
will help in changing the pH of the soil from alkaline to acidic, which is what your evergreen prefers. By 
changing the pH, you also help unlock other nutrients that exist in your soil. 

If the tips start to turn brown I'd check to make sure that they aren't planted int an area that is too wet. Arborvitae tend to get root rot when they are too wet. 

Thanks for your response!  I'll not give up on them just yet!  I do have a feeling that they aren't in a good spot.  We sweep snow on them all winter and also they can get a bit of salt on the rare times that we salt the steps.  The dying branch progressed from the outside in. 

I've not watered them ever and they seemed fine until this year.  I'm guessing they are about 15 yrs old, so maybe it's an age thing.

in spite of my neglect, they seemed fine until this year.

Arborvitae are very sensitive to salt and it does accumulate in the soil so maybe this is your problem. If the ground isn't frozen when the snow is dumped on it the insulation may keep it from freezing. Unfrozen ground in the winter is very hard on the root systems of many plants. The wet soil can cause root rot. 

Many older evergreens tend to get brown in the middle. Some of it is winter damage and some of it is just the aging of the plant. 

Most arborvitae are fairly long lived and yours have have probably reached their maximum growth for the miniature type in 15 years. We have a huge one in our yard that is well over 40 years old and I've noticed that it has looked very scruffy for the last few year. 

I think you probably do have a problem with the soil and the salt but some of it might just be the aging process. 

Arborvitae are very sensitive to salt and it does accumulate in the soil so maybe this is your problem. If the ground isn't frozen when the snow is dumped on it the insulation may keep it from freezing. Unfrozen ground in the winter is very hard on the root systems of many plants. The wet soil can cause root rot. 

Many older evergreens tend to get brown in the middle. Some of it is winter damage and some of it is just the aging of the plant. 

Most arborvitae are fairly long lived and yours have have probably reached their maximum growth for the miniature type in 15 years. We have a huge one in our yard that is well over 40 years old and I've noticed that it has looked very scruffy for the last few year. 

I think you probably do have a problem with the soil and the salt but some of it might just be the aging process. 

Makes sense to me.  I'll let it go this year unless it obviously is dying.  Next year I think I'll put a big flower pot in that spot.  It can be moved during the winter so the snow and salt won't be an issue.

Yep that's it, only mine looks pretty pathetic compared to those!

They can have an insect problem too so maybe it's a combined problem.  Do you fertilize them?  Is the soil wetter or drier than average?  How old are they?  If you hold a white paper under the branches and shake the shrub do any insects fall out?  Are they in a very windy area?  There are a lot of things that can affect them.

You can call the Master Gardeners and have them diagnosed for free at 849-7361.

They can have an insect problem too so maybe it's a combined problem.  Do you fertilize them?  Is the soil wetter or drier than average?  How old are they?  If you hold a white paper under the branches and shake the shrub do any insects fall out?  Are they in a very windy area?  There are a lot of things that can affect them.

You can call the Master Gardeners and have them diagnosed for free at 849-7361.

Ok will check for bugs too.  thanks