GoDuBois.com

The "New" Rumbarger Cemetery.

Rumbarger Cemetery

Kudos to the RCPS!  What a wonderful job so far on this historic piece of hallowed ground!  I hope that the fruits of your labor and good works continue to gain momentum.  I am looking forward to providing service to your group this year!  I am wondering if all the naysayers and critics have done their share?  Can anyone answer that for me?  I am thinking of one in particular that I would love to see there with their sleeves rolled up working instead of making comments and asking about getting involved but never putting their efforts where their mouths are!  You know who you are!!

The area behind the cannons is the same area where the above picture with the jumbled mess of weeds and vines was taken. As you can see in this "after" photo, we are making progress, it's slow but we are making progress. Everyone on our board works and we are all volunteers, so we mow, weed eat and trim in the evenings and weekends when we can. Volunteers to help out are needed. Anyone can mow, trim or weed eat in any area of the 8 acres at anytime.

043011_0_3393_266.jpg

Interesting story from 1924, 88 years ago. People now are always saying how people do crazy things now in the news and it didn't happen with the older generations. It sounds like people were just as violent back then!

DuBois Morning Courier, March 5, 1924

ATTORNEY VICTIM OF ATTACK MADE YESTERDAY A. M.

H. A. Moore, prominent lawyer and Secretary of the DuBois Cemetery Company, was brutally assaulted yesterday morning in Rumbarger Cemetery by Special Officer Russell Love for the City of DuBois, and placed under arrest on a charge of assault and battery himself, and forced to spend an hour in the city lock-up, later being released for a hearing before Alderman D. D. Neff.

It is alleged that previous to being assaulted by Officer Love, Mr. Moore did not address a word to the officer and had no controversy with him and that before he realized what was being done, Mr. Moore was struck by the officer

Can anyone tell me what it is about this screen where all the text and everything goes waaaay over and off the charts. It is really hard to read moving back and forth. Thanks so much for the interesting material. And the wonderful job of bringing back such a hallowed area.

A story from 1894

DuBois Weekly Courier, Thursday, August 2, 1894

Thursday evening during the band concert at Electric park a number of young people entered Rumbarger cemetery and during the playing of the pieces by the band danced on the platform that is used for speaking on Decoration day. The parties who are guilty of such behavior ought to be ashamed to look any honest person in the face. If they have no departed friends or relatives sleeping in the cemetery there are hundreds of people in town who have and respect for the living as well as the dead should deter any person from such unbecoming conduct. If self-respect will not keep people from using the platform in the cemetery for a dancing place the cemetery association ought to take a hand and have the parties arrested and punished. A fine for tresspass, perhaps, would not be half as pleasant for them as dancing over the graves of the departed members of the families of their neighbors.

August 25, 1939 From the Weekly Profile.

This was a weekly newspaper published in DuBois from 1939 through the early 1940's.

Look at the old time car coming up Main St. The sidewalks were still brick and you can see the DuBois Brewery stack in the picture. Does anyone know what that tall building to the left of the Brewery stack was?

418652_3340106029961_1487987144_33146200_1565401121_n_505.jpg