GoDuBois.com

Company linked to 2022 Pa. crash involving lab monkeys has shut down

Bon

By 

The company linked to the transportation of the lab monkeys involved in an accident near Danville a year ago has ceased operations.

That was confirmed by Jeffery Quebedeaux, owner of Quebedeaux’s Transport, and U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) records.

The records show Quebedeaux’s was placed out of service on March 19 for failing to respond to a request for the performance of safety audit and its DOT’s number was deactivated on Sept. 15.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) had accused the Louisiana trucking company of illegally transporting monkeys to laboratories.

The monkeys involved in the accident last Jan 21 at the Route 54/Interstate 80 accident were being transported for him but not by the company itself, Quebedeaux told PennLive.

The shutdown occurred after PETA says it submitted evidence to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that the company appeared to be illegally transporting hundreds of long-tailed macaques to laboratories.
However, in a LinkedIn post Quebedeaux stated: “I haven’t transported primates in over a year. All the forms and documentations were falsified in the transportation of these primates.”

PETA acknowledges DOT’s investigation into its complaint about Quebedeaux revealed a commercial monkey importer falsely listed the firm as the transport company on multiple shipments in 2022

The accident occurred, according to state police, when the pickup driven by Cody M. Brooks of Keystone Heights, Florida, turned in front of a large dump truck.

The impact caused the crates to be strewn across the highway. One of them broke open allowing three of the primates to escape. They were caught and euthanized by state police.

“Just for the record I want to let everybody know that I have done nothing wrong in the industry,” Quebedeaux’s LinkedIn post continued.

He added he will not in the future do anything wrong “because the feds have made me sign paperwork saying that I would never come back to the research field.”

His post also detailed his failed efforts over the past 18 months to open a research center in Bunkie, Louisiana.

In August, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries notified him his proposed facility was not exempt from the state’s prohibition on possession of nonhuman primates.

It also cited a letter from the USDA that stated what he proposed did not meet the definition of a research facility.

Quebedeaux planned to turn a former prison into a quarantine facility that would house hundreds of long-tailed macaques imported into the U.S. for use in laboratories, PETA claimed

The 100 monkeys involved in the Danville area accident had arrived earlier in the day at New York’s JFK Airport from the island of Mauritus off the African coast.

They were being transported to CS Primates in Kaiser,Missouri, for quarantine in 37 crates stored in a trailer pulled by a pickup truck.

A Montour County woman who stopped to assist at the accident scene required treatment after she came in contact with the monkeys.

Following the accident PETA, filed several complaints with government agencies over the treatment and transportation of monkeys in the U.S.

Kenya Airways, which had flown the monkeys into the U.S., has stopped transporting primates at PETA’s request

On 1/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, Tiramisu said:

If they needed quarantine, why did they travel at all?

If they needed quarantine, they should of been held at the airport.

A woman I used to work with moved to the USA. She brought her dog with her, he was her baby. The dog was in quarantine for 6 months.

Why weren’t the monkeys? Guess we will never know since that company is shut down, no more monkeys. Thank you PETA!