GoDuBois.com

New chicken coop

Pappy

New Chicken Coop. Now I have to figure out where to put it. I had a guy offer me 8 birds already he wants to get rid of.

So I better figure it out soon and get that coop off that trailer.

It will take three men and a boy to unload it. It took that many to load it.

I am going to install an automatic door.  I still have to figure out their water/food situation and everything I will need for them. 

For the winter I am going to make a little run out of cattle panel for the warmer days they want to come out and set it in front of the automatic door.

I will get pics of the inside tomorrow. Nothing fancy really but figured what the heck. Gives people something to look at.

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to modify the back to get the eggs if they have any. There is no way that the eggs will make it to the back and that small opening for me to get my hands in. I thought the top came up to reach in and get the eggs off the rest. Obviously the guy who made it did not think of that. I mean that is why you have it in the back is to get the eggs. Wow there are no words to describe this. Other than that and a small door for the hens to get out it is a nice coop. I plan on changing their roosting bar also to something round for their feet.

IMG_8789.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

I may have to start making these myself with the improvements for people who want coops next year. Although I would use metal roofing. I forgot to tell him this but the shingles probably provide more insulation to retain the  heat in the winter

There are a million details to think of in a well functioning chicken coop.  

A small door for them to go out in the morning is good.

My chickens have a square 2 x 2 roost for their feet.  I change it out for a second one every time the coop is cleaned for one that has stood on end in the direct sun to sanitize it since the last time the coop was cleaned.

Be sure the windows face the rising sun in the morning to wake them up.  That also encourages them to go to bed earlier in the evening.  Always close the door right after they go in for the night.  Right now, mine go in at 8:15 but it gets earlier every evening.

Is the nest designed to have the eggs roll away from the laying box?  That could be so they can't eat their eggs. I have one egg eater (bad habit) and that nest box is always a sticky mess that needs a lot of cleaning.