GoDuBois.com

transplanting

dyna99

I think that you would be OK moving those now. I'm still moving plants around. If the irises are in clumps they will be fine. If you have divided them and are putting in a single fan they may not make a good enough root system to stay put through the winter. They probably won't freeze but they may move. Mulch the butterfly bush and the bleeding heart just to be on the safe side. Personally, I don't mulch irises as they are best grown near the surface of the soil and in conditions that don't encourage rot.

It's usually best to transplant right after any plant blooms, but now is a good time provided you dig a big enough hole, amend the soil properly for that plant, move a large section of soil with complete roots, water well and mulch.  You might want to water again in a week or so if we don't get more rain.  

Be sure that where you move a plant to is well drained or best suited to what the plant likes normally.

It's getting late, so don't wait for too long.  

Thanks!! I think today looks like a good day to move the flowers to were we can appreciate the colors of the flowers....

I got the bleeding heart early this summer but it hasn't grown much where it is, that is why I thought I would move it to hopefully more sun...

The iris's are down front and can't be seen by anyone, and I love iris's so I want them in the backyard where we spend most of our time..... :)

I have one that gets morning sun only and it is abut 30" tall. There are certainly different varieties although that isn't always mentioned on the tags.  Lack of sun might stunt the growth of a plant but bleeding hearts don't want full sun to grow. They are a partial shade plant. I find that a lot of plants take time to accustom themselves to growing conditions. They can sit there not doing much for a couple of years and then take off.