GoDuBois.com

What is this plant?

My daughter got a bulb kit for Christmas, but put to together at my mother's place and threw the box out.  No one there can remember what it is (lol or even who gave it to her to ask them!). I'm sure it is something simple and common but I am not a green thumb at all!

The plant is doing good, but I do not know what to with it now. If I could identify it, I'd know if I have to plant it outside or keep it in but get it in a larger pot.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS - The cats knocked some of the dirt out earlier, I will put more back in today lol

1_4331.jpg

2_1524.jpg

5_691.jpg

6_7365.jpg

Awesome, thanks!  

Thats what I initially thought since they are common in the store around Christmas.  However when I read about them online it said there should be a flower stalk?...but then again, that isn't to say that the kid or the cats broke it off  ;D.

I'll have to move it to the porch in a few weeks then.  Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!  

Thats what I initially thought since they are common in the store around Christmas.  However when I read about them online it said there should be a flower stalk?...but then again, that isn't to say that the kid or the cats broke it off  ;D.

I'll have to move it to the porch in a few weeks then.  Thanks!

My backyard is filled with those and they will grow those very long fronds without any stalk.  When you least expect it, the stalk will shoot up and start to bud.  It seems like the stalk shoots up overnight.  They are beautiful and fragrant when they bloom!

Here's one of mine.  

Posted Image

....I have one of those in my yard, here in PA (orange flowers). Since its colder here maybe's why it grows only two flowers at most. And yes the flowers seem to appear very suddenly.

Around here the flower stalk usually comes up first and then the leaves. If mine get leaves first they never do flower.

Jetta, those are fantastic. Makes me want to move south.

And jer I'm really surprised that amarylis overwinter in PA. Are you fairly far south?

It is an Amaryllis. The flowers could be one of many colors: reds, oranges, salmons, mahogany, magenta, deep rose, Victorian pinks, white, creamy yellow, lemon-lime.

Where on earth can I find those other colors?  

The individual ones like Jennifuel's, I only ever find in the white or red.

Then again, maybe I am always too late in selection and the red or white are the only ones left.

You usually have to order the uncommon colors.  Around Christmas you can find red, white and some pinks.  They are the flower version of wine-in-a-box!  Open and water.  Presto.  Then getting them to bloom a second time can be a bear.

Suncha at the Nelson House has one in the window that she does nothing to.  It blooms!  Makes me nuts!

You usually have to order the uncommon colors.  Around Christmas you can find red, white and some pinks.  They are the flower version of wine-in-a-box!  Open and water.  Presto.  Then getting them to bloom a second time can be a bear.

I get mine to bloom 3-4 times a year. just let them die down, trim the leaves off leaving about 3 inches above bulb and don't water for about 2 weeks, then start watering again and they start to grow again.

Mine NEVER die off.  I've tried not watering them for months and they are still hanging in there.  They're in the foyer waiting for summer so I can chuck them outside for a summer of fun!

I can raise some of the most difficult plants, then you come along with something simple and it sticks it's tongue out at me!

I'm jealous! :-)

Around here the flower stalk usually comes up first and then the leaves. If mine get leaves first they never do flower.

Jetta, those are fantastic. Makes me want to move south.

And jer I'm really surprised that amarylis overwinter in PA. Are you fairly far south?

Used to live in southern-most part of PA, but been in this area awhile now. Mine probably are not amarylis, but looked kinda similar. It just regenerates every spring, fronds first then flowers.