GoDuBois.com

Bottom Rot already on tomatoes

We had the blight or bottom rot or what ever for the last few years on our tomatos.  We usually plant about 50-60 plants to can sauces and salsa.  So this year we just skipped the big garden and I put a few plants in one of my flower gardens instead of flowers.  My tomatos are doing great, and even with only two plants I get a few ripe ones each week.  Also 2 cuke plants, 1 zucchini plant, and two each of hot and green peppers is giving us a nice little bit of everything.

If you have this on a regular basis, year after year, then you need to do a Penn State Soil Test.  Doing it right now is fine because you can add the amendments at any time and right now the lab isn't as busy as it is in the spring.  You can get tests at Agway and maybe some of the other feed stores.  They are $9.00 and well worth every penny.  If you have a calcium deficiency or something like a water deficiency or other chemical problem that isn't allowing your plant to draw up the calcium from the soil, this test will tell you the answer.

Also, you can always take a damaged fruit and some leaves to the County Extension Office near you for an analysis.  They will send it to Penn State for free if needed and you will get a full report in a week or so.

We have picked 2 ripe tomatoes with no bottom rot, a 3rd is almost ripe enough, but they are small...

My cucumber plants look as if they have died, compared to other years I would get so many they would go to waste....I have had maybe 4 out of it....

Zucchini looks ok, better then my cukes!!

Peppers look pretty good too, not sure if there are any on them or not will have to check on that....

We also planted some cherry tomatoes and squash in planters to see what they would do!! The tomatoes are coming on but haven't checked the squash...

Some years I get cukes and some years little or nothing.  Planted bush cukes this year and they seem to be doing better than the trailing ones usually do.

Super Marzano, my sauce tomatoes, have some blossom end rot but some of the others are clean. The determinate ones, whatever they were, currently have no blossom end rot and are almost ripe.  

Applause are the tomatoes that seem to have withstood problems from the drought. Too early to tell with the rest although the plants don't seem to be as big as usual.