GoDuBois.com

Mardi Gras-Helen's

steelnut

Mine has grown so big and it flowers beautifully.

My problem is that it's so filled with bees every year in late summer, we can't go near that part of the deck.

Hubby wants to move it, but I'm so afraid that moving it will kill it.

Has anyone ever moved one before and if so, any suggestions on how to do it and when? TIA

You don't want my advice. I've killed two of them already. I figure the one in my yard died from poor drainage and the one on the embankment near Penn State was done in by the groundhogs. It hung on for a couple of years but eventually gave it up. I love them but I don't think I'll be trying another.

Stuff in general is best moved in the early spring just as it starts to come out of the ground. Dig it with lots of dirt and put it in a well drained position with lots of sun. There I gave you advice anyway. Just don't let me near it and it should be ok.

You don't want my advice. I've killed two of them already. I figure the one in my yard died from poor drainage and the one on the embankment near Penn State was done in by the groundhogs. It hung on for a couple of years but eventually gave it up. I love them but I don't think I'll be trying another.

Stuff in general is best moved in the early spring just as it starts to come out of the ground. Dig it with lots of dirt and put it in a well drained position with lots of sun. There I gave you advice anyway. Just don't let me near it and it should be ok.

Lol, I appreciate any of your advice!

When I got it, it was only about 8" high, it's grown so big and every year is just so beautiful.

I really hate the thought of trying to move it, but the darned bees are terrible.  

What bugs me is that they are nothing but a type of sneeze weed. The bigger yellow sneeze weeds grow like weeds around here. This named variety seems more difficult to make happy. They call them Helen's flower from the genus name Helenium. Mardi gras is the variety. You had the name right. I guess nobody would buy them if they called them sneeze weed.