GoDuBois.com

wild garlic

Guest steelergirl

Guest steelergirl

I have, what i thought were wild onions..... now that i have let a patch grow i now know they are wild garlic.

I'm a little excited because i LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic....

Anyone know much about it? is it good to eat? can i plant it in a pot for next year and expect it to grow?

any info you can give me would be appreciated!

I believe you have to snip off the bulbous ends at the top, and that will keep them growing--  at least that's what I was told to do with the garlic I planted.  I don't know if wild garlic will be different.  

Guest steelergirl

Petee, i don't have a garden! i jus pops up all over my yard!! i might make a space in a flower bed? not that i have much of those either! What about potting them, but leavig the pot outside?

i may be interested in some of the elephant garlic?  could it be done it a pot too?  

i could make a small spot in my yard as a "garlic garden" if they won't grow in a pot garden....

Borrow some of that weed killer from Dogg and go at it! I used to collect wild plants. Once I found a cute little plant with a white flower on it. Brought it home and tucked it into the asparagus patch for future reference. I too love garlic and thought having the wild stuff would be wonderful. It took over the asparagus patch and is moving into the herb garden. It is also in a bed that is on the other side of the house. It is very difficult to get rid of once you have introduced it into your yard.

I don't know why it wouldn't grow in a pot sunk into the ground although that won't keep it from spreading as it apparently spreads by seed.

The bulbs are very small and extremely strong. The tiny size of the bulbs make it a nuisance to use.  It is certainly edible, if a bit rank. It's very useful for making sprays to keep critters off more desirable plants.

Petee, i don't have a garden! i jus pops up all over my yard!! i might make a space in a flower bed? not that i have much of those either! What about potting them, but leavig the pot outside?

i may be interested in some of the elephant garlic?  could it be done it a pot too?  

i could make a small spot in my yard as a "garlic garden" if they won't grow in a pot garden....

I went out to check it and the pots were dry!  Let me see if it picks up.  It has huge cloves of garlic, is hardy and spreads.  

Guest madre

We tried growing the elephant garlic last year with no success.  Is there a secret to it?  I love garlic but I'm allergic  :(  Also have some of the wild stuff growing.  It grows through the yard and smells SO good when we cut the grass!