GoDuBois.com

butterfly bush

dyna99

I am looking for one, but dont know the real name so I can have a friend order one......can anyone help?

All I know is that this bush attracts butterflys, and I so want one for my rock garden!  TIA......

Guest snellma

I don't think Lantana is what you are looking for, but my Lantana is always covered with butterflies!

This isn't a picture of my plant, though, mine is more yellow and orange.  

Posted Image

I don't think lantana grows that far north although Niagra Falls had tons of it.  Guess it loves the moist spray from the Falls.

Lantana has to be taken in for the winter here. I have some in the bottom of a pot that has one of those tropical hibiscus in it. I drag it in every winter and am sure the lantana has died but it comes back every spring.

Oh, and there were some butterfly bushes left over from the Down to Earth Garden Club spring plant sale. I'll try to locate them if anyone wants them. They reseed in my yard.

I bought one of the ones that I saw at Lowe's.  I loved the dark purple.  My friend in Memphis said he could only find white ones and another friend said she could only find light purple or magenta ones.

The only thing you left out is yellow. I think the really dark purple one is 'Black Knight'. For me the butterfly bushes tend to be short lived. The yellow and pinks seem to die out even quicker. I've got a new white one and I'm putting it someplace other than "butterfly bush row."

Maybe it will last a bit longer in a less exposed position.

I dug 5 that had reseeded two days ago. Bet no one ever thought that they could be invasive but they are on the list. They should be ready for the Farmer's Market if anyone wants to try one. I have a friend who swears that these are hardier.

My friend with the white one sent me a video saying that you have to cut them when they are just starting to turn brown so the seeds don't get in any waterways. And you have to burn the seeds and not put them in your compost.   I had no idea.

Last spring I bought two small bunches of chives at the BUDS plant sale. This year they are good sized bunches and blooming like crazy. While mowing today I noticed quite a few butterflies on the chive blossoms.  :)

Don't let them get away in your garden like they did in mine.  I pulled out a good 2 bushels of chives by the time I got around to dealing with them and I still find them sneaking into the flower bed.  Deadhead them very well once you have all you need and eat the young flowers in your salads.