GoDuBois.com

Grape Vines

steelnut

We also planted grape vines this year, do we need to any thing special to them over the winter?

Thanks so much for all of the help!

If you planted Concords your good to go. Good pruning practices is probably all you need. Any other kind of grape is really iffy around here. There is a grape disease that is common to this area. I think it is called black rot and it mummifies a good part of the grapes in each cluster. It is a fungus that overwinters in the mummified fruit so if you see this occurring it is important to get rid of all that dried up grapes. There are also fungicides that help if you are really serious about grape growing. We live with it as the deer get most of the grapes anyway.

They kind of like the vines, too.  Good luck!

I don't know for what reason, but someone cut into all the wild ones out here along the road.   thought maybe they were loooking to make a wreath  but they just cut through them and took nothing

I don't know why they cut those particular vines but I do know that grape vines will bring down a tree. We had a huge maple that had vines growing up it and it came down in a bad storm. The added weight of all those wet vines plus the extra surface area in the wind was too much for the trunk.