GoDuBois.com

what kind of mushroom is this?.

It's weird that Indian pipes would be on the cover of a wild mushroom calendar when it isn't a mushroom. It is a herbaceous plant of the same family as heathers.  It lacks chlorophyll and can't make its own food. It is a parasite on a fungus that allows it go get its food from tree roots. It is blooming now so what you are seeing is the flowers. It is also known as a corpse plant.    

I've seen them too. Thought they were discusting. When I was young our parents taught us the main 3 edible mushrooms to find around here and they were tasty. The best was a rare one. I can't remember the name at the moment but if I saw it written or a picture I would remember. It was growing only in a certain spot under the trees at the edge of our yard. Our yard bordered on forest on all sudes. This mushroom was very hard to find, as it blended perfectly in the woodland groundcover. I never knew how lucky we were then to have it. It was shaped really funny and pointed at the top. Wish I had some now fried in butter on homemade bread. MMMMM

I've seen them too. Thought they were discusting. When I was young our parents taught us the main 3 edible mushrooms to find around here and they were tasty. The best was a rare one. I can't remember the name at the moment but if I saw it written or a picture I would remember. It was growing only in a certain spot under the trees at the edge of our yard. Our yard bordered on forest on all sudes. This mushroom was very hard to find, as it blended perfectly in the woodland groundcover. I never knew how lucky we were then to have it. It was shaped really funny and pointed at the top. Wish I had some now fried in butter on homemade bread. MMMMM

Morel? I've been told that they used to grow here but I've never been lucky enough to see one. I know and pick three or four kinds but that is my limit. I don't experiment!

• 2 weeks later...