GoDuBois.com

Waxing camellias

jettavwdrvr

Guest snellma

Jetta,

Which ones do you have?  On that picture with the basket mine look like the bottom row, the middle one and the right one.

Mine are just starting to bloom which is early for mine.  They are usually blooming in Jan./Feb.

I don't know exactly what kind I have yet...this is my 2nd year in my home and my first year I was in awe of the beautiful things that grew without my intervention!  Here is what I *think* it looked like:

Posted Image

I think my big tree is early blooming as well.  It has to be the warm and wet weather SC has had lately. (It's currently 71 and sunny). My other, small camellia "bush" is still very tight and new. I hardly cut back my big tree at all because it wasn't particularly unruly or in need.  I just dead-headed as the blooms died.

I'll post a pic as soon as it opens.  I'm going to stock up on paraffin. I already have mineral oil as it is good to add to a variety of things.

I was just looking through some files I and found an interesting article that I saved about waxing camellias and a little bit about them. It is from my local newspaper.

I also have some lily of the valley (my birth flower) that are peeking up. What fun things grow year round!!

waxing_3657.pdf

I waxed fall leaves once and they stayed pretty for quite some time. After awhile they did lose their color. Just be careful with the wax, as that stuff is flammable. The melting point of the blocks of wax that you get for jelly, which is what I used, seems to be quite high. I used a pot on the stove as I didn't have the patience to wait for the microwave. The microwave might be safer.

Putting it on the leaves too thick kind of obscured the color as it gets a bit opaque.

That is about all I know as I never tried it on flowers.

I'm jealous! It would be wonderful to look out the window and see a camellia bush. Ain't gonna happen in DuBois!

Since you're in the south you may be able to do it on the barbecue if you have a side burner.  Just keep the flame really LOW!  It takes more time but it's safer.  You don't want to lose your house or eyebrows over a waxed flower.

Guest snellma

It is varigated.  I like the double camelias better but will settle for what I have.  I have transplanted a few trying to make a hedge out of them.  They just keep popping up all over.