GoDuBois.com

Brugmansia

Petee

I have 12 of these 5 colors. this will be the first year that I will have to cut them back. to fit in my basement over winter.How much can I trim? them without hurting next years plant.I have four as big as yours. They dont seem to draw in butterflys of humming birds I think because the smell best in eveing thanks Linda

I trim off whatever I absolutely have to in the fall in order to fit the critter in the door, but no more.  Then I water it enough to keep it from shriveling or putting on new growth till about April.  Then I start feeding and watering it well to create new shoots.  When it goes outside after the first frost, I chop off all of the nicest shoots and pot them up.  

I think I still have a dozen or so if anyone wants one.

Just let me know and I'll bring a free one to the meeting for you!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tracy96

Hello all!  I really enjoyed those pics.  They are absolutely beautiful!!!  I've had a Brugmansia for about 4 years now and it has never bloomed.  I keep it under my skylights and it does well but no flowers.  I feed it too.  Every time I put it outside it shrivels.  Why?  This summer it's been infested with white flies too.  I've washed it and they just keep comming back.  It is shedding it's leaves now so I'm hoping the flies will be gone too.  Is it normal for it to shed all it's leaves in the winter?  I can't even remember what color it is supposed to be.  I know I wanted the peach but I think this one is yellow.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-/

It is not unusual for a brug to lose its leaves when it is brought in.They often go semi-dormant for the winter. In fact many people overwinter them in the dormant state.

Brugs should be summered on a patio with some sun. They need a big pot and quite a bit of water. Maybe you are not watering it enough in the summer or perhaps it is getting too much sun. If it is dropping its leaves it may be just a reaction to the change in climate. You may want to accustom it to the outdoors by putting it in a shady protected position first and gradually moving it into the sun.

That said there are many different cultivars of brugs. Some are prone to dropping leaves at the drop of a hat. Some bloom more freely than others. Some are a dickens to get to bloom. You just never know. You could try feeding it in the summer with a high phosphate fertilizer. Too much nitrogen will inhibit blooming.

There are sticky yellow strips that you can get that will control white fly. The flies are attracted to the yellow color and stick to the strip.

Guest Tracy96

Thanks Lavender!  I'll have to get some of those strips next year.  I do need a bigger pot.  I haven't thrown the plant out after all these years.lol..  I'm determined to get it to bloom.  I have to find out what color I bought!   LOL   When winterizing should the plant be kept in a cool place?  

I keep the sticky yellow pads near my plants all winter.  It saves you from large infestations.  They well worth what ever you pay for them.

I think they come three to a package and I used to get them at Hanzeleys.  Mine came in this fall with White Fly but they are all gone now.

A Brugmansia needs a very large pot to do well.  The tree I had this summer willl have to go into one of those huge tubs next spring.

I would pot it up to a larger roomy size, just water it enough to keep the tips from shriveling, and be patient.  If you lose it, let me know and I can replace it for you.

The cooler and darker the location, the less water it will need but remember that a Brugmansia does not like to dry out.  Keep it well drained.

I have all small ones because I gave the tree to a friend in town. You may see it gracing Brady Street next summer.

• 2 months later...

Not till about May unless it's looking really yellow before then, and start with some weak fertilizer at first.  You may want to consider repotting it then too if the roots are crowded.   You'll know because it will wilt even with regular watering.

The growth rate will really pick up then.  If you get it growing too fast without enough heat and light, it'll get long weak branches.

• 1 month later...

If you seriously think that your cat is eating the plant you need to do something fast. Brugs like daturas contain scopolamine and atropine that are extremely poisonous. If you are seeing actual chunks out of the leaves unless you are keeping it where slugs or snails can get to it odds are it is the cat. There are no houseplant insects that I am aware of that actually chew the leaves. Outside caterpillars are a possibility. Most houseplant insects will suck the juices rather than chew leaves.

You might check for small green caterpillars or slugs if you had the plant outside this summer. There is always the possibility that the plant contained eggs which have hatched but I'm still worried about that cat.

Guest Tracy96

Brugmansia are very poisionous to pets!!!  They can cause vomiting, seizures and possible death!  One of my dogs gets a hold of my leaves when they drop and I have to be very careful to catch her.  I have since moved my plant so the dogs don't have access to it.  I looked it up to see if it was pet friendly and it is definitely not.  I was lucky enough to catch my dog in action.