GoDuBois.com

Okay, I had my annual cry...

steelnut

...in my garden tonight. Every single year when it's that time....I go and pick what's left and look around at all of the dying plants and sit down and have my yearly cry! Ugh!

I know a lot of people love the fall, but I'm not a fan, everything is dying off and it's just a heartbreaker for me, winter is coming. Now, springtime...that's my time of year, everything is coming to life, I'm planning my garden and looking forward to summer......I'm already thinking of next spring... :)  

I will have to send you some pictures of my second garden.  I didn't plant much but everything is growing very nicely.  I saw the first blossom on my squash plants today and my beans are almost ready to bloom.  I also have volunteer tomatoes and onions growing :)

How about saving seeds and getting some houseplants prettied up for winter.  It's not the death of your garden, it's just a rest so it can produce again next year.  How about collecting sawdust and leaves, cow manure, etc and building up a whole mound of rich soil so that next year you will have a composted treasure in your garden.

I always like a rest so gardening doesn't get old.  Every spring is so exciting.

AAAW  I feel bad for you.  I understand your sadness, but I don't share it.  I love the fall, I finally feel well enough to be outside and enjoy myself.  I feel refreshed, the air feels and smells clean and so do I (lol).  I love the beautiful fall colors I am just sad that we don't really have the autumns that we used to have, seems like we go straight from summer to winter back to summer.  But I can't complain, at least we get a change.

I agree with the others, invest in some mums and work on a blue print to a wonderful garden next year!!

The gardening catalogues will start soon, you can garden on paper until May. Not as hard on your back and your fingernails stay clean. Although I must admit things look pretty sad out there. Even with the mums blooming ferociously and at least a few things still in flower you can see fall coming. I sheered off a lot of things this year and I'm getting a second wave of blooms.

I will have to send you some pictures of my second garden.  I didn't plant much but everything is growing very nicely.  I saw the first blossom on my squash plants today and my beans are almost ready to bloom.  I also have volunteer tomatoes and onions growing :)

Lol, I'm jealous! There's James Taylor in my ear again...."Goin' to Carolina in my Mind".

I am already looking forward to next spring, I've saved a lot of seeds, etc.

We're putting manure on the garden again this fall and hubby wants to put some winter wheat on it, too.

I still have a lot of Stella's in bloom, which I love and the sunflowers are still beautiful even though Sunday nights high winds had them splayed out a little ...so it's not all bad, but it's still sad, darn it.  :)

Ah, my garden is here and NOW this feels like home.... Even though everything is shell-shocked and a wreck: it's here and that's all that matters.

On a side note:

Aren't the mums gorgeous this year? It's all I can do not to spend every check at Lowe's, Giant Eagle and the local nursery.

Around here they are perennial so next year I will definitely invest in some of those beautiful gold, rust and purple ones.

They are a perennial here too if you get them in just the right spot. I have some huge rust ones blooming this year and some of the purple ones aren't doing too badly. I think you are one zone warmer now. Lucky you! Not as good as Snellma but every little bit helps.