GoDuBois.com

Favorite Tomato?

klsm54

Guest snellma

Don't you work for a university? Try the horticultural or entomology departments or I'm sure you have a County Extension Service somewhere.  This one is out of my league.

Yes I work for a university but it is a Medical University  :B  Maybe as a joke I should take in one of my peppers and see if they can diagnose it.

Funny you should mention that though because we do have an agricultural office from Clemson right here in Summerville.  Duh - why didn't I think of that????  Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest snellma

Don't medical schools have faculty that specializes in "bugs"?  ;D

Of course.  We have an infectious disease division.  I'm sure one of them should know  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If there is anything special you want there is a good chance I can get it for you. We'll be thinning out all summer both from our own yards and the beds we maintain for the city. What we don't sell off by the end of summer we will winter over. That is why we have such a large number of perennials in the spring.

Lavender, do you have any creeping phlox? By our barn, we have a small bank that I'd like to try phlox on.

I'll definitely stop at the Farmer's Market to see what you have in other perennials, too. Thanks!

I think there is one left. I used everything I could get my hands on in front of the garden across from Harley-Davidson. I have the pink form of bugle weed and chameleon plant that can be dug for a sunny area. Also a number of different kinds of sedum. My sweet woodruff was gorgeous this year but that needs some shade.

Guest snellma

I'm having a toasted tomato sandwich for lunch with one of the tomatoes out of my garden.  Yum Yum.

I planted celebrity, and roma's this year.  I tried cherry tomatoes, but I didn't like the taste of them.   I have my peppers in, a few hot peppers too.  My beans are up and looking good this year.  My peas have blossoms on, but my onions are at a stand still.  What is up with that????

Interesting that you don't like the taste of the cherry tomatoes. My husband won't eat them and he won't say why. I quit planting them.

The onions should take off now that we have had some rain. It was awfully dry there for awhile. I've noticed that my leeks grow much better when we water them. Onions don't have much of a root system so they can't go deep looking for water the way many plants do. They use the water stored in the bulb when it is dry so they don't grow much, just concentrate on staying alive.

I think there is one left. I used everything I could get my hands on in front of the garden across from Harley-Davidson. I have the pink form of bugle weed and chameleon plant that can be dug for a sunny area. Also a number of different kinds of sedum. My sweet woodruff was gorgeous this year but that needs some shade.

Thanks, I'll stop to see you at the Farmer's Market.

• 1 month later...

I've planted Brandywine and didn't really care for them. I thought that they were sort of watery. I don't remember any blossom end rot or any other disease problem. They were kind of late too. I seem to remember them ripening after I picked almost all of the Romas. There is a reason I remember that.  ;D

Some of the heirlooms sun scald. I remember Cherokee purple doing that. They were so bad I don't think I got many tomatoes.

Well, so much for Brandy Boys....  :(  I would say your opinion of the Brandywines was accurate Lavender. The Brandy Boys have great texture, nice and meaty.....but they are without a doubt the most bland tasting tomato I ever tasted.....a definite watered down taste. I'll try frying some green ones tonight because the ripe ones are a waste.

I can tell you this, if these Brandy Boys taste like Brandywines, which they are supposed to, I sure have to wonder who the judges are that pick Brandywines in a taste test. They ought to taste some GOOD tomatoes before judging their next contest. I'm going back to Big Boys, or Better Boys, next year.

Too bad! It's been years since I planted Brandywine but I do remember that I didn't like them. I let someone have them for the picking and they picked the rest of my canning tomatoes as well. That is why I have such a good recollection on them. I was not happy!

Guest snellma

I finally gave up on my tomatoes this year.  I got enough off of them for me to eat, but the squirrels are getting most of them.  I caught 3 squirrels on my deck and they each had a tomato in their mouths.